The Student Room Group

Is EPQ needed for Medicine?

I'm currently in year 12 I've started going to open days at different universities which offer Medicine. I've signed up for the EPQ at my school and my question involves Schizophrenia, as I'm interested in mental health. I went to Edinburgh university and Manchester a few days ago and both universities said they didn't regard the EPQ as part of the application process. Therefor I'm unsure whether I should do the EPQ or not as I could spend my summer practicing the UKCAT and focus my attention on wider reading around medicine.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Natashab99x
I'm currently in year 12 I've started going to open days at different universities which offer Medicine. I've signed up for the EPQ at my school and my question involves Schizophrenia, as I'm interested in mental health. I went to Edinburgh university and Manchester a few days ago and both universities said they didn't regard the EPQ as part of the application process. Therefor I'm unsure whether I should do the EPQ or not as I could spend my summer practicing the UKCAT and focus my attention on wider reading around medicine.

It's definitely not needed for Medicine. The only real advantage of it is that you can put it on your PS and talk about it at interviews, although you'll need to decide whether it'd be more worthwhile to do other stuff.
Reply 2
Original post by usycool1
It's definitely not needed for Medicine. The only real advantage of it is that you can put it on your PS and talk about it at interviews, although you'll need to decide whether it'd be more worthwhile to do other stuff.

Yeah I've got a lot to put on my personal statement I've done two weeks experience in a hospital shadowing a consultant, I volunteer every week in a care home, I'm prefect at school I do loads of extra curricular like netball jujitsu and I sing and write songs and play guitar. I'm also applying for charity rep at my school. I'm applying for a summer school for a few days to help children with disabilities. I'm also going to try and get involved in more volunteering things like on a organic farm . But will the EPQ make me a much stronger candidate? Or should I just focus on my UKCAT to get a good score? Also is my topic relevant to medicine.
Yeah I've got a lot to put on my personal statement I've done two weeks experience in a hospital shadowing a consultant, I volunteer every week in a care home, I'm prefect at school I do loads of extra curricular like netball jujitsu and I sing and write songs and play guitar. I'm also applying for charity rep at my school. I'm applying for a summer school for a few days to help children with disabilities. I'm also going to try and get involved in more volunteering things like on a organic farm . But will the EPQ make me a much stronger candidate? Or should I just focus on my UKCAT to get a good score? Also is my topic relevant to medicine.

The stuff you're doing sounds very worthwhile and good to mention on your PS. I don't think the EPQ will make you a much stronger candidate, I think I was only asked about it once at just one interview I had and even then, they didn't seem to be too interested in it.

If you want to do the EPQ, then by all means go for it. You have very little to lose by doing it IMO, you should have time to do everything else over the summer too. Your topic sounds fine for Medicine too.

The UKCAT is quite a strange test in that it's possible to run out of resources and peak too early. Id say that 2-3 weeks of prep should be sufficient for it.

Don't waste space on these.
Reply 5
Original post by ageshallnot

Is it not important to mention in my Personal statement that I take part in extra curricular activities, for instance I'm on the netball team therefor this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.
Is it not important to mention in my Personal statement that I take part in extra curricular activities, for instance I'm on the netball team therefor this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.

Everyone is on a sports team, everyone is a prefect or house captain or whatever. While you are correct that the important factor is what you learn from these roles, other parts of your application are more important. It would be better to learn team skills from working in a hospital or hospice or old people's home, for example.

No. These are cliched and irrelevant additions to a medicine ps. Focus on your medicine related activities. You have surprisingly little space to sell yourself, and nobody makes an offer for medicine to someone on the basis of their playing the guitar.

I added stuff like that but only about two lines.
As not all colleges offer the EPQ, it is often just seen as an extra. It is something to talk about in your PS and interview. However, it seems you have much better things to talk about. In my opinion, having one or two decent pieces of work experience is the most valuable thing.

I would concentrate on getting good grades and doing well in the UKCAT. A strong UKCAT can make a HUGE difference.

In regards to the netball and singing etc. remember that the personal statement isn't very long. Lots of people play sport or a musical instrument, for medicine they care more about your work experience and whether you are a caring and compassionate person. Concentrate on your work experience, your reasons for wanting to do medicine, etc.

Once you begin to write your personal statement you will realise how little 4000 characters really is. This is nearly 300 characters: 'I'm on the netball team therefore this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.'

If you want to mention skills such as team work and communication then link it into your more medically related stuff. Or you can just save it for interview, e.g. they ask about times you have displayed good communication skills and you can talk about your work experience and your extracurricular activities.

I've got an offer to do medicine this autumn, if you want any tips or anything feel free to message me.

Lauren xx
Original post by Lozzie97
As not all colleges offer the EPQ, it is often just seen as an extra. It is something to talk about in your PS and interview. However, it seems you have much better things to talk about. In my opinion, having one or two decent pieces of work experience is the most valuable thing.

I would concentrate on getting good grades and doing well in the UKCAT. A strong UKCAT can make a HUGE difference.

In regards to the netball and singing etc. remember that the personal statement isn't very long. Lots of people play sport or a musical instrument, for medicine they care more about your work experience and whether you are a caring and compassionate person. Concentrate on your work experience, your reasons for wanting to do medicine, etc.

Once you begin to write your personal statement you will realise how little 4000 characters really is. This is nearly 300 characters: 'I'm on the netball team therefore this involves me working in a team and cooperating with others. Because I sing and play guitar I am able to perform which builds my confidence which would prove important as a doctor because you need confidence in order to speak to new people.'

If you want to mention skills such as team work and communication then link it into your more medically related stuff. Or you can just save it for interview, e.g. they ask about times you have displayed good communication skills and you can talk about your work experience and your extracurricular activities.

I've got an offer to do medicine this autumn, if you want any tips or anything feel free to message me.

Lauren xx

Thanks ! I was wondering what books and articles are good to read ? Which are focused around applicants trying to get into medical school. Also how much work experience and voluntary work do I need? 😊
Thanks ! I was wondering what books and articles are good to read ? Which are focused around applicants trying to get into medical school. Also how much work experience and voluntary work do I need? 😊

I think the books and articles depend on your particular interests within medicine (I read some medicine related books but didn't mention it in my interview or personal statement). I would recommend the Kaplan UKCAT book for UKCAT practice. I didn't read any interview prep books but I am sure there are many on Amazon.

I would aim to get one placement in a hospital, one in a GP surgery and one related voluntary thing. However universities understand how hard it can be to get work experience. Whatever work experience you get just make sure you do enough so you have lots to talk about at interview and in your personal statement. Then it won't matter how much work experience you get.
Reply 12
So if i dont do it and i get interviewed i can show interest by doing an online course and attending lectures etc? Just conscious of them asking me why i didnt do it
Reply 13
Original post by chrisdale98
So if i dont do it and i get interviewed i can show interest by doing an online course and attending lectures etc? Just conscious of them asking me why i didnt do it

They won't ask you if you didn't mention it. It really isn't that necessary. I did it and wasn't asked about it at all. But I chose to mention it since it seemed relevant at that point. They will only ask about extra stuff you've mentioned. Lectures are good. Books as well. Pick one good relevant book like the immortal life of henrietta lacks. Make sure you know the book or topics you mention well. They could ask anything in it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The articles on the NHS health news section are worth a quick read
Original post by ageshallnot

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
No. These are cliched and irrelevant additions to a medicine ps. Focus on your medicine related activities. You have surprisingly little space to sell yourself, and nobody makes an offer for medicine to someone on the basis of their playing the guitar.

I disagree with this. There is a big emphasis within medical school on having a balanced life, stress-relieving activities, hobbies etc.

Furthermore, the skills from extracurricular activities such as teamwork, organisation etc, are undoubtedly relevant for a medical degree and career.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
I disagree with this. There is a big emphasis within medical school on having a balanced life, stress-relieving activities, hobbies etc.

Furthermore, the skills from extracurricular activities such as teamwork, organisation etc, are undoubtedly relevant for a medical degree and career.

Feel free to disagree.

I would say that most medical schools say in their criteria for personal statements that it is important to show that you have a life outside of academia, hence I would put these things in as a couple of lines, leaving them out could mean your personal statement may not be competative, but its all about how much room you actually have.

I would probably say if you dont have enough room leave the prefect thing off, but put in the sports and music stuff as it shows you have external interests, 99% of medicine applicants are prefects/head boy or girl and considering you have so much work experience you can show leadership and responsibility from them, and that will be much more relevant to medicine.
Reply 18
No, but if there is something you want to research into medicine that you really would like then please go ahead. This might be something that you can bring up in your potential medical interview when appropriate. That is the only benefit of an EPQ in applying to medicine along with the UCAS points(Bart and the London is the only medical school obessed about UCAS points).
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Feel free to disagree.

Half of my interview was about rugby and what skills i developed from being part of a team, this was something that was brought up from my personal statement.

Whilst you don't need to write at length about them i'd definitely mention them and, more importantly, why they will make you a better medic.

Latest

Trending

Trending