The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage's "breaking point" immigration poster

You can see it here: http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/jun/19/michael-gove-george-osborne-condemn-nigel-farage-anti-immigration-poster-eu

I am in two minds about the poster.

On the one hand I can see how portraying a group of brown faces in a negative way, and as an argument for Brexit, might be seen as opportunistic racism. However, on the other hand it's factual - it's an image from the migrant crisis last year and is criticising the EU's handling of it and the fact that we have had vast numbers of people making the dangerous journey to enter Europe.

I think, overall, the poster goes too far and there are better ways of criticising Europe in this way.

Your views?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

people are taking a long hard look at Mr Farage and the other Little Englanders after the tragic events of recent days...
I think it's factual is the key thing. Stop trying to be so politically correct lol.
Original post by the bear
people are taking a long hard look at Mr Farage and the other Little Englanders after the tragic events of recent days...

What have Little Englanders and Nigel Farage got to do with the tragic events of recent days?
Original post by Grand High Witch
What have Little Englanders and Nigel Farage got to do with the tragic events of recent days?

that is exactly what people are wondering ...
Certain links to the 30's seem laughable, but they're genuinely there.

Pretty horrific. We need to stay in.
Original post by Grand High Witch
However, on the other hand it's factual - it's an image from the migrant crisis last year and is criticising the EU's handling of it and the fact that we have had vast numbers of people making the dangerous journey to enter Europe.

Not really. As far as I'm aware the EU hasn't actually done anything about the migrant crisis. Most of the actions, or lack thereof, have been made by member states themselves.

Besides, the UK itself isn't facing a large number of asylum seekers entering the country. They're basically capitalising on the migrant crisis even though it doesn't have anything to do with us, nor is it an issue relevant to the EU (for us at least).
Original post by the bear
that is exactly what people are wondering ...

Given that neither have called for violence I don't see what the causal link is.
I think it's just quite insensitive and unnecessary. We live in a very diverse country. People are going to be offended by the blatant profiling, even if it is factual, it's the reasoning behind why Farage is using it.

Not sure it's wrong in principle though.
Original post by physicsphysics91
I think it's factual is the key thing. Stop trying to be so politically correct lol.

What's factual about it?
Original post by SHallowvale
Not really. As far as I'm aware the EU hasn't actually done anything about the migrant crisis. Most of the actions, or lack thereof, have been made by member states themselves.

Besides, the UK itself isn't facing a large number of asylum seekers entering the country. They're basically capitalising on the migrant crisis even though it doesn't have anything to do with us, nor is it an issue relevant to the EU (for us at least).

Please, do explain how thousands of people coming to the continent to escape war, or exploit EU wealth, isn't relevant to us or the EU? As one of the key members of that alliance, states believe we have a duty. This is relevant to us, and we're taking 20,000 of those refugees. That doesn't mean more aren't lining Calais waiting to get here.
Original post by ivybridge
Please, do explain how thousands of people coming to the corinent to escape war, or exploit EU wealth, isn't relevant to us or the EU? As one of the key members of that alliance, states believe we have a duty. This is relevant to us, and we're taking 20,000 of those refugees. That doesn't mean more aren't lining Calais waiting to get here.

I'm specifically referring to this notion that some Leavers have about how the EU is forcing us to accept refugees, hence how we wouldn't have control of our borders and are at ''breaking point'' as the post says.

The EU is not and can not make us take refugees.
Original post by SHallowvale
I'm specifically referring to this notion that some Leavers have about how the EU is forcing us to accept refugees, hence how we wouldn't have control of our borders and are at ''breaking point'' as the post says.

The EU is not and can not make us take refugees.

The EU is not making anybody take them - but they are coming regardless. Open Borders have made it relatively impossible to stop it happening for a start, and once they're here - what do you think countries are going to do, kick them back into the sea and say bye bye? Obligations and rules don't start and end with Brussels.

The notion that we have no control of our borders isn't really untrue, and people aren't talking about refugees - they're talking about mass EU migration.
and people aren't talking about refugees - they're talking about mass EU migration.

So why did Farage's poster show a line of what are quite clearly non-EU citizens?

Stir up fear and anger? Yep, that'll be it.
The EU is not making anybody take them - but they are coming regardless. Open Borders have made it relatively impossible to stop it happening for a start, and once they're here - what do you think countries are going to do, kick them back into the sea and say bye bye? Obligations and rules don't start and end with Brussels.

The notion that we have no control of our borders isn't really untrue, and people aren't talking about refugees - they're talking about mass EU migration.

Sorry, but I'm really not sure what point you're trying to make?
Original post by InnerTemple
So why did Farage's poster show a line of what are quite clearly non-EU citizens?

Illegal citizens.

I understand in the context of this poster, that that's what was going on. That wasn't what I was commenting on there specifically, though.

I also said I thought it was out of line...
Original post by physicsphysics91
Illegal citizens.

Eh?
Reply 18
Should be banned under the psychoactive susbstances bill, far more likely to induce psychosis than spice.
I think the ad focuses primarily on the numbers coming into Europe and the fact that most are economic migrants.

Mainstream media only sees the race of these men, nothing else.

It's a typical knee-jerk reaction.

Linking it to 1930s propaganda is absurd.

(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending