The Student Room Group

What gives you the worst muscle ache/DOMS?

Afternoon all,

What work-out/routine gives you the worst muscle aches and delayed onset of muscle soreness? And what do you do to compensate/recover for that?

I completed the Pathfinder March yesterday which was 46 miles so my legs are massively aching today to the point where normal walking is impossible (I do feel better than when I did it last year though).
I've been for a very light 30min swim this morning to try to loosen up my muscles & then had a hot bath to relax them whereas last year I stayed on the sofa all day watching boxsets.

I've done a fair few running, swimming & circuit workouts that leave me unable/unwilling to do exercise properly for a few days & hill walking while carrying weight is a killer too but I don't think any of them quite compare to long distance walking. I've got London to Brighton in a couple of weeks though which has is even further. Fun times haha.
Reply 1
i don't know what will give you the most doms but for a quicker recovery from them you should do a cool down (i find stretching helps a lot) and have an ice/cold bath if possible
Reply 2
Always legs
Reply 3
For me it's always squats that give me DOMS in my butt & thighs, stretching is good and it's important to stay active throughout recovery (even though it hurts) and do some X-training. But at the end of the day everyone recovers at their own pace, you can do stuff for the pain but you can't really speed up recovery.

Posted from TSR Mobile
sprints always give me massive DOMS even if I don't feel that bad afterwards

I always take a bath (warm cos I'm too wimpy for a cold one), stretch a bit and try and make sure I do something the next day, even if it's very light
Reply 5
i literally got doms the first 2 times i went to the gym about a year ago and lifted just the bar. i'm squatting 120kg now and ive not had doms since lol
Squats, always in my quads
legs and abs for me
Reply 8
I did like 8 sets of high rep squats once after not working out for ages
it was a mistake
Reply 9
Original post by jackcoys
i literally got doms the first 2 times i went to the gym about a year ago and lifted just the bar. i'm squatting 120kg now and ive not had doms since lol

Yeah someone will only get doms if they haven't hit that muscle for a long time etc
Cable lateral raises, they're a killer for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
stuff you don't do often

/thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest