The Student Room Group

Which University???, rank them! (International Student)

Hello I am an international student (non-eu) hoping to study in the UK this September. I hope to be studying Computer Systems Engineering/or Computer Engineering. I have received conditional offers from the following:

-University of Birmingham
-Brunei University
-University of East Anglia
-London South-Bank (unconditional)
-University of Manchester
-Nottingham, Trent University (unconditional)
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

It will be unlikely that I would meet the requirements of both Birmingham and Manchester. I am really interested in Sheffield and East Anglia and I have heard that they are quite prestigious, is this true? .

If you could rank these universities from best to worst, what would your list look like? It would also be good if you could provide reasons. Also, how good are these universities for international students (openness, population, etc) Lastly, for Sheffield and East Anglia, could anybody refer me a good private non-uni accommodation that is not too far from uni?
Thanks
Original post by slymme
Hello I am an international student (non-eu) hoping to study in the UK this September. I hope to be studying Computer Systems Engineering/or Computer Engineering. I have received conditional offers from the following:

-Brunei University
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

It will be unlikely that I would meet the requirements of both Birmingham and Manchester. I am really interested in Sheffield and East Anglia and I have heard that they are quite prestigious, is this true? .

If you could rank these universities from best to worst, what would your list look like? It would also be good if you could provide reasons. Also, how good are these universities for international students (openness, population, etc) Lastly, for Sheffield and East Anglia, could anybody refer me a good private non-uni accommodation that is not too far from uni?
Thanks

Unsurprisingly, the unis which have given you unconditional offers are in the 'less good' category. Sheffield and UEA would be fine. One of the most successful systems architects I know went to Sussex.
Reply 2
Original post by slymme

-Brunei University
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

Thanks

I don't know what my list will be like.

As long as the uni you're going to is good, then you'll be fine. Even if you go to a top uni, you might feel that you don't like the study or experience. Just research the unis and see what's most suited for you.

I see 'Brunei University' in your list. Are you from Brunei? :smile:
Original post by slymme

-Brunei University
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

It will be unlikely that I would meet the requirements of both Birmingham and Manchester. I am really interested in Sheffield and East Anglia and I have heard that they are quite prestigious, is this true?

If you could rank these universities from best to worst, what would your list look like? It would also be good if you could provide reasons.
Thanks

I presume you mean Brunel, not Brunei.

Define "quite prestigious". Sheffield is a Russell group (a category of leading research universities), and UEA is a fairly well-thought-of non-Russell group. They are certainly no more prestigious than Birmingham or Manchester, but not much less prestigious either.

My ranking would be:
Manchester
Birmingham/Sheffield
UEA/Sussex
Brunel/South Bank/Trent

If you think you can get the grades for Sheffield but not Manchester or Birmingham, I'd definitely go there unless you especially like UEA or Sussex, which are both perfectly good as well. The others are less well regarded.
Reply 4
Original post by ageshallnot
Unsurprisingly, the unis which have given you unconditional offers are in the 'less good' category. Sheffield and UEA would be fine. One of the most successful systems architects I know went to Sussex.

Original post by Alisa59
I don't know what my list will be like.

As long as the uni you're going to is good, then you'll be fine. Even if you go to a top uni, you might feel that you don't like the study or experience. Just research the unis and see what's most suited for you.

I see 'Brunei University' in your list. Are you from Brunei? :smile:

Original post by sweeneyrod
I presume you mean Brunel, not Brunei.

Define "quite prestigious". Sheffield is a Russell group (a category of leading research universities), and UEA is a fairly well-thought-of non-Russell group. They are certainly no more prestigious than Birmingham or Manchester, but not much less prestigious either.

My ranking would be:
Manchester
Birmingham/Sheffield
UEA/Sussex
Brunel/South Bank/Trent

If you think you can get the grades for Sheffield but not Manchester or Birmingham, I'd definitely go there unless you especially like UEA or Sussex, which are both perfectly good as well. The others are less well regarded.

lol yes I meant Brunel not Brunei, so easy to mistake the 'i' for an 'l' when not paying attention. Thanks everybody for the help. On a final note, which of the following cities would be cheapest to live in for a student?: Sussex, Sheffield or Norwich?
Reply 5
Original post by slymme
lol yes I meant Brunel not Brunei, so easy to mistake the 'i' for an 'l' when not paying attention. Thanks everybody for the help. On a final note, which of the following cities would be cheapest to live in for a student?: Sussex, Sheffield or Norwich?

Sheffield
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&city1=Norwich&country2=United+Kingdom&city2=Sheffield
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by slymme

Sheffield, generally the further North you go in England the cheaper everything is.
Reply 7
Original post by slymme

Ah! I didn't know you misspelled 'Brunel'. Sorry for the confusion!
Original post by slymme

We would love to talk to you more about studying here at UEA. Not only are we respectable in the league tables, but we're one of the best for student satisfaction in the UK too.

You can drop us a private message or you can go to www.uea.ac.uk/ask to get some advice!
Original post by slymme

-Brunei University
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

Thanks

How did you manage to apply for so many unis? UCAS only offers 5 choices.
Visiting is probably one of the most useful things to do, but I understand that this is very difficult as an international student.

However, you should be doing research into the unis (I appreciate that this is one way of doing so) and looking at more than just the name or the prestige - atmosphere, prospects (To some extent ...), accommodation, course content, all of that stuff.
Original post by slymme

-Brunei University
-University of Sheffield
-University of Sussex

Thanks

Best...University of manchester - has lots of international students, very impressive library and computer facilities, amazing location in the city centre... very good job prospects
University of sheffield - cheap living costs, good location, russel group, friendly atmosphere... but sheffield is a bit grotty in my opinion
University of east anglia - nice campus with a lake and cheap accommodation as well- norwich is a wonderful city, and the sports facilities on campus are decent

i can't say for the other ones as I haven't visited them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending