Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Physiotherapy as a second degree or Postgraduate Course?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi All,

I am currently in my second year of study doing Biomedical Sciences; I am enjoying some aspects of my course but generally am feeling like I would like to steer my career towards a more people-oriented profession, so have got some physiotherapy work experience booked in this summer. I'm taking a break from studying at the moment because I have had a few personal health issues and needed to take a step back temporarily from academic work and university life. This time has been used well as I am getting experience working in a school and doing some reading around my subject. I am looking to think about physiotherapy either after graduating, or possibly changing directions now rather than finishing my degree (so I would be applying for 2017 entry).

I have good GCSEs and A-Levels (AAA in Biology, Chemistry and Geography with Maths AS) and have worked hard whilst at University however put myself under quite a lot of pressure which has contributed to a few stress-related difficulties (being involved in the university cycling club has definitely improved overall uni experience though). Generally have achieved a 2:1 and am aiming to graduate with a 2:1.

So my question is; would it be wisest to graduate with a degree in Biomedical Sciences with the aim to apply for postgraduate physiotherapy afterwards (and just take as many anatomy/physiology related modules as possible- this is where my main interests lie), or if I decide that I really want to persue a career in physiotherapy to withdraw from my current course and re-start a physio degree from scratch?

Any experience in either situation would be much appreciated, particularly the benefits of doing a degree before physio. I guess this would leave more options open later on potentially?

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.