The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Social class- how do you define it + what class am I?

How do you define social class in Britain? What social/economic/cultural factors define classes today?

I'm not sure what class I am. My mum and dad were both care workers but they both went to college when I was younger and now dad is a nurse and mum is a child speech therapist. We live in a flat in Harlesden, London and I have two siblings. Would say my parents both had working class upbringings, but are my family now middle class? In GCSE media last year we did social grade classifications (ABC1C2DE) and the teacher said that both my parents had C2 jobs. Is that lower middle or working?

Scroll to see replies

if you've got a northern, essex, dorset' "fahrmur" or cockney accent then you're lower class no matter how much money you have, basically
Original post by twomoreminutes
How do you define social class in Britain? What social/economic/cultural factors define classes today?

I'm not sure what class I am. My mum and dad were both care workers but they both went to college when I was younger and now dad is a nurse and mum is a child speech therapist. We live in a flat in Harlesden, London and I have two siblings. Would say my parents both had working class upbringings, but are my family now middle class? In GCSE media last year we did social grade classifications (ABC1C2DE) and the teacher said that both my parents had C2 jobs. Is that lower middle or working?

College not uni? If college, then working class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_the_United_Kingdom
Original post by Esoteric-
College not uni? If college, then working class

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_structure_of_the_United_Kingdom

My mum did a degree, but at a college, and my dad became a nurse before it was.compulsory for nurses to have university degrees. Does a uni degree automatically make you middle class? Bc my cousin graduated, wasn't able to find any work relevant to his degree so he is a lorry driver atm. Still middle class?
Does a uni degree automatically make you middle class?

No it doesn't, and anyone suggesting that it does is an idiot.

Underclass - don't work.
Working class - work
Middle class - "professions" (though I've debated the meaning of the word several times with users on here, I believe that the socially held distinction between working and middle is whether the job you have is considered a profession or a job).
Upper class - pretty much the underclass but with more money, usually inherited. Their definition of "work" is different to what a working class person would consider work, unless they're down to earth instead of living in a bubble of course.
I am currently sipping a red wine. Absolutely spiffing I tell you. I'm having a party later- inviting my good friends round for a spot of chess and a few canopés
Original post by cookie123456789
I am currently sipping a red wine. Absolutely spiffing I tell you. I'm having a party later- inviting my good friends round for a spot of chess and a few canopés

canapés are totes awesome
social class is really a state of mind. if you identify as upper class you are upper class.
lower middle class.
Original post by the bear
canapés are totes awesome

Excuse me? totes? Please speak proper English my good sir.
But yes, I do love a good canopé. I am eating one now in fact, listening to Radiohead, sat on a chais long stroking the family dog as mama gets the tea sorted

I'm not sure, this is how I define the classes:

Underclass: Does not work, makes a lifestyle about scrounging off benefits.

Working class: Works but in mainly blue-collar/physical type jobs (e.g: plumbing, building etc)

Middle class: University educated, work mainly involving use of mental facilities more (e.g: doctors, teachers, pilots etc) Like white collar jobs.

Upper class: Loads of inherited money and status, doesn't really work as the lower classes define it, has their money to work for them

I guess I would say you were upper working class/lower middle class
Excuse me? totes? Please speak proper English my good sir.
But yes, I do love a good canopé. I am eating one now in fact, listening to Radiohead, sat on a chais long stroking the family dog as mama gets the tea sorted
At least he can spell canapé. Also I believe you mean chaise lounge.

Social classes are meaningless. I'm descended from landed gentry (and retain the right to the family's arms), and yet I attended a comprehensive school, and later went to a local college for my degree. I live in a terraced house, and speak with a Lancashire accent most of the time.

Does that mean I'm still gentry because of my ancestry, or that I'm lower/working class because of where I live and where I schooled?
Original post by sleepysnooze
if you've got a northern, essex, dorset' "fahrmur" or cockney accent then you're lower class no matter how much money you have, basically

Lolwut? So a cardiac surgeon with a northern accent is of a lower class than an Oxfordshire benefit scrounger? I don't think so.
Original post by Tootles
At least he can spell canapé. Also I believe you mean chaise lounge.

Social classes are meaningless. I'm descended from landed gentry (and retain the right to the family's arms), and yet I attended a comprehensive school, and later went to a local college for my degree. I live in a terraced house, and speak with a Lancashire accent most of the time.

Does that mean I'm still gentry because of my ancestry, or that I'm lower/working class because of where I live and where I schooled?

The way I spelt it is how all us upper's spell it my friend. You would not understand.
Original post by Tootles
Also I believe you mean chaise lounge.

No. He meant chaise longue.

One of these:

http://www.thechaiselongueco.co.uk/products?id=46
The way I spelt it is how all us upper's spell it my friend. You would not understand.
Aah, prima donnas.

Lel, bless your little heart.
Hope I'm not bourgeoisie scum. :frown:
Original post by Tootles
Aah, prima donnas.

Lel, bless your little heart.

I am not a prima donna!

But yes, I do love a good canopé.

Ah yes, the posh name for a spelling mistake on toast!
Original post by Good bloke
Ah yes, the posh name for a spelling mistake on toast!

ha ha. Nice one. :unimpressed:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending