The Student Room Group

Advice for starting to go to the gym?

Okay, I have taken it upon myself to actually get fit this summer so I have joined a gym!! My aim is just to increase stamina and not to feel like I'm dying when I walk upstairs.

Do you have any advice for newbies?

Also I am aware I am super unfit. Any advice for someone easing themselves into exercise for the first time? :smile: :dontknow:

Scroll to see replies

Buy Protein shakes and use them as Meal replacements. Also buy graze snacks from your local supermarket to have when your hungry.
Just do what you feel comfortable with at the start and build up from there.

Make sure you wear a decent pair of trainers and try to establish a routine. If you go regularly you will begin to realize when it is best to go and when is best to avoid (basically when the gym is empty and when it is too busy). Also, it will eventually become part of your week.

Don't cancel out your work out by drinking an energy drink afterwards (same applies to eating crisps/chocolate etc). Make sure you take a bottle of water and keep hydrated. Graze snacks are nice (and often healthy) but are expensive for what they are (the online Graze shop is a cheaper way to buy). Best food for after the gym (in my opinion) is a piece of fruit.

Try and do a mix of cardio and weights (dependent on what your goal is - in my opinion you should have a goal because then you will feel a sense of achievement when you reach said goal). Just make sure your goal is achievable. And make sure there is a time frame on it.
Speaking to one of the gym staff might be a good idea as they should be able to sort you out with a basic starter program. Although, if you don't want to do that it won't be hard to make improvements if you're really starting from rock bottom (which you've made it sound like you are). Make sure you warm up well (walk gently on the treadmill or walk to the gym) before you start. Decide whether you want to do cardio, weights or both. If you want to do weights it's a good idea to get an instructor to talk you through it as you could hurt yourself if you don't use the right form. As far as cardio goes just give all the machines a go and decide what you enjoy most, it can be good to use more than one machine in your session as it stops you getting bored but there's no reason to force yourself to do something you hate. Set yourself a time aim and just keep yourself on the machine for that long, even if it means you have to turn down the intensity at points, you'll soon find your cardio system catches up and you're able to start upping the intensity/time. Stretch at the end.

Also, don't replace your meals with protein shakes and spend loads of money on overpriced snacks. Give yourself treats, just remember that you'll have to run 2.5 miles to cancel out a chocolate bar so going to the gym doesn't give you a free pass foodwise (although you haven't said that weight is actually an issue). Eat healthy as it will give you more energy and help your muscles recover but all that means is make sure you eat your fruit and veg and home cook your food rather than having processed crap.
(edited 7 years ago)
If you're looking to just get fit. Something like the couch to 5k programme would be a great place to start
Original post by PHInfinity
Buy Protein shakes and use them as Meal replacements. Also buy graze snacks from your local supermarket to have when your hungry.

Protein shakes should NOT be used as meal replacements, they should accompany a balanced diet as a way of supplementing any missed protein

Posted from TSR Mobile
Don't squat in the curl rack
Reply 7
Original post by doodle_333
Speaking to one of the gym staff might be a good idea as they should be able to sort you out with a basic starter program. Although, if you don't want to do that it won't be hard to make improvements if you're really starting from rock bottom (which you've made it sound like you are). Make sure you warm up well (walk gently on the treadmill or walk to the gym) before you start. Decide whether you want to do cardio, weights or both. If you want to do weights it's a good idea to get an instructor to talk you through it as you could hurt yourself if you don't use the right form. As far as cardio goes just give all the machines a go and decide what you enjoy most, it can be good to use more than one machine in your session as it stops you getting bored but there's no reason to force yourself to do something you hate. Set yourself a time aim and just keep yourself on the machine for that long, even if it means you have to turn down the intensity at points, you'll soon find your cardio system catches up and you're able to start upping the intensity/time. Stretch at the end.

Also, don't replace your meals with protein shakes and spend loads of money on overpriced snacks. Give yourself treats, just remember that you'll have to run 2.5 miles to cancel out a chocolate bar so going to the gym doesn't give you a free pass foodwise (although you haven't said that weight is actually an issue). Eat healthy as it will give you more energy and help your muscles recover but all that means is make sure you eat your fruit and veg and home cook your food rather than having processed crap.

Maybe not rock bottom!!

I'm slim but so unhealthy. Basically my aim is just to feel healthier build up my stamina. Not looking to lose weight or anything (I know it comes with exercise but that's not my aim).

I'm planning on turning up with some trainers, stretchy legging things, shorts, a tshirt, a towel and some water and see how that goes! Aim for the cross trainer or treadmill to begin with I think?

Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Magic Member
Don't squat in the curl rack

Of course! Etiquette!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by 1998RF
Best advice for going to the gym... Don't. 😏

I used that advice for my whole life and now I feel like I'm on the verge of a heart attack going up to my room (2 flights of stairs attic bedroom problems) so I think it's about time!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Angry cucumber
If you're looking to just get fit. Something like the couch to 5k programme would be a great place to start

Thank you!

I did the race for life 3 years ago which was only a 5k and did it in 40 minutes, shameful I know. It'd take me longer now!

Might aim to do that again and actually aim for a more 'reasonable' time! xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Lozzie97
Just do what you feel comfortable with at the start and build up from there.

Make sure you wear a decent pair of trainers and try to establish a routine. If you go regularly you will begin to realize when it is best to go and when is best to avoid (basically when the gym is empty and when it is too busy). Also, it will eventually become part of your week.

Don't cancel out your work out by drinking an energy drink afterwards (same applies to eating crisps/chocolate etc). Make sure you take a bottle of water and keep hydrated. Graze snacks are nice (and often healthy) but are expensive for what they are (the online Graze shop is a cheaper way to buy). Best food for after the gym (in my opinion) is a piece of fruit.

Try and do a mix of cardio and weights (dependent on what your goal is - in my opinion you should have a goal because then you will feel a sense of achievement when you reach said goal). Just make sure your goal is achievable. And make sure there is a time frame on it.

Hi, thank you!

Just aiming to be healthy! No weight loss or muscle gain needed here!

I will have a look at times. I'm guessing early morning and evening are quite busy? Before and after work workouts I'm guessing.

I'll see how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Go to the gym
Reply 13
Original post by BushDiddit
Go to the gym

Great advice, thank you. I will definitely do that!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by amingo26
Okay, I have taken it upon myself to actually get fit this summer so I have joined a gym!! My aim is just to increase stamina and not to feel like I'm dying when I walk upstairs.

Do you have any advice for newbies?

Also I am aware I am super unfit. Any advice for someone easing themselves into exercise for the first time? :smile: :dontknow:

See if you can buddy up and find someone to go with. Have a healthy balance between cardio and weights and remember. 85% of what you'll get out of the gym is based off what you eat.

Oh and good form, I'll probably see some of the gym newbies on my Ortho rounds one day because of their shocking lifting technique
Nobody is interested in you, so dont be self conscious.

Just start at a steady pace and do 5-10 mins or until you are breathless, take a break and then do it again. If its cardio, then try different machines and then when you are ready take a class. Take a note of times and speeds or distances, then gradually increase them over the weeks. Its just a case of building a routine and keeping going. Keepin a record lets you see how you are improving.

Fitness comes quite quickly if you keep at it.

Its the summer so couch to 5k would be nicer as you are outside.

You should also consider doing some form of resitance work
Original post by amingo26
Hi, thank you!

Just aiming to be healthy! No weight loss or muscle gain needed here!

I will have a look at times. I'm guessing early morning and evening are quite busy? Before and after work workouts I'm guessing.

I'll see how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if you aren't looking to lose weigh or gain muscle I would still recommend setting a goal, for example, setting a target on the treadmill (distance in a set time, or time it takes to do a set distance). Just because it will feel rewarding to reach and beat targets and this can help with the whole motivation thing.
I feel the same I'm unfit need to start 😭
Reply 18
Original post by 1998RF
I feel the same I'm unfit need to start 😭

Haha I feel you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by Lozzie97
Even if you aren't looking to lose weigh or gain muscle I would still recommend setting a goal, for example, setting a target on the treadmill (distance in a set time, or time it takes to do a set distance). Just because it will feel rewarding to reach and beat targets and this can help with the whole motivation thing.

Good point.

Do you suggest any distances to begin with?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest