The Student Room Group

Advice for starting to go to the gym?

Scroll to see replies

I would start off, if you are running on a treadmill to run at an easy pace for 30 mins or longer if you wish. Try to use a heart rate monitor to see how hard you are working (aim for 60-80% of maximum heart rate. Maximum is roughly 220-age). As a beginner consistency is the most important thing.
Original post by PHInfinity
Buy Protein shakes and use them as Meal replacements. Also buy graze snacks from your local supermarket to have when your hungry.

I definitely wouldn't suggest to replace your meals with shakes, this is pretty unsustainable. Although you may see results quickly, the weight will pile back on when you stop. You're also likely to deprive yourself of lots of nutrients by missing out on wholesome meals.
Start slow and don't be intimidated by anyone, they were all at your level at some point.

Eat healthy and stay devoted, but always put happiness before the gym.

Guys can be a bit douchey at gyms and act as if they own the place, I used to see this guy around the gym that would grunt if you were using something he wanted, we're all there for the same goal so be patient and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest