The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I doubt that improving at chin ups will improve your sprinting ability at all.
Reply 2
So a strong upper body doesn't really matter for sprinting?
rock_ten

Wrong
Upper body stregnth greatly affects your sprinting speed. You get a lot of drive from your arms. Which is why anyone who has had any sprinting experience and coaching will know to pump their arms, especially at the start of the race.
To the op, I would do more than just chin-ups, although they do work the back as well which is good
Reply 4
rock_ten

ashley710
Wrong
Upper body stregnth greatly affects your sprinting speed. You get a lot of drive from your arms. Which is why anyone who has had any sprinting experience and coaching will know to pump their arms, especially at the start of the race.
To the op, I would do more than just chin-ups, although they do work the back as well which is good

all very nice, but as far as I can see none of that relates to what I quite carefully said.
Reply 5
ever seen an olympic sprinter with small arms?
Reply 6
My friend though is naturally small and slim, 5ft, size 6 tiny waste and really slim so would chin ups improve her speed (she can only do 2 chin ups at the moment) or would it be a waste of time, as her arms are not going to get that much bigger. ?
A general upper body workout (not just one mind) would be beneficial. Just doing chin-ups - not so much
Reply 8
ok, so chins, press ups and sit ups? I can't think of any decent leg exersises to improve leg power that can be done at home.
Reply 9
Riddy
ok, so chins, press ups and sit ups? I can't think of any decent leg exersises to improve leg power that can be done at home.

Maybe she should get advice from a coach, it just seems as though you don't know that much.
Reply 10
jump squats and jump lunges, they are fairly hard and will build power.
Reply 11
TomX
Maybe she should get advice from a coach, it just seems as though you don't know that much.

Well what should I know? Is this not what the fitness thread is for, I thought people on here might know.
Reply 12
ROTFL you are not very smart are you.
Reply 13
Longtrousers

How come? Is it the way I worded my post or what?
Longtrousers

Its people like you who don't know much, people who do tend to understand that some people are new to running/gym and offer advice. You don't even know how to train for a marathon and your not new at it lol at least riddy's thread started some debate.

Anyway like most people have said upper body strength is important for sprinting so yea chin ups, press ups and crunches will help but make sure you have high intensity and a low number of reps don't go past 10 for chin ups, if you can do over this get a weight belt. From your other thread im guessing you are practicing your sprinting technique and doing flying starts and all that.
Reply 15
lmao I don't know how he can call this thread when everyone knows how to train for a marathon
Reply 16
buahahahaah, just because i don’t know how to train for a marathon does not mean i don’t know what i am talking about. I am a Scottish champion at the 100m sprint.
Reply 17
Why insult the op?
Longtrousers
I am a Scottish champion at the 100m sprint.

Well, seeing as you're a "Scottish Champion" why not post your routine and give the OP some useful advice.
Reply 19
<CJ>
Well, seeing as you're a "Scottish Champion" why not post your routine and give the OP some useful advice.

I would, i don't do athletics competitive anymore :frown:

Latest