The Student Room Group

Edexcel GCSE History 21st June 2016 Unit 3B Britain

Is anyone doing the same unit, and what predictions do you have on the subject of tomorrows exam?
Last year was the Miners Strike..

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gingy2
Is anyone doing the same unit, and what predictions do you have on the subject of tomorrows exam?

since last years paper was actually on - the Battle of Britain , The year before was on the Beveridge Report , 2013: Rationing & Jan 2013 : Unemployment

i Think the cycle will start again as it would either be on Winston Churchill - Before the war ,after the war and when the election happens .. or it would be on Censorship
Keep it in mind that the NHS and the Blitz hasn't come up in a long time. I suggest you prioritise revision on those two topics along with D-Day and the Defeat of Germany and the Jarrow March.
Depending on your style, you could start off with the last question (or you can start with Question 1, then 5, then 2,3,4 in their respective order) as this reduces pressure on time constraints as you've already opened the paper, this reduces the need for rushing and thus means that your answer will be high quality and with enough detail, can guarantee you top band in the Mark scheme. 20-24 minutes is the recommended time you should spend on the last question out of the 75 minutes given.

Good luck with Tomorrows exams!
(edited 7 years ago)
everything has come up apart from the NHS and the Blitz. However, the Blitz was in the sample paper so its highly probable that it will be the NHS
Original post by Evilstr99
Keep it in mind that the NHS and the Blitz hasn't come up in a long time. I suggest you prioritise revision on those two topics along with D-Day and the Defeat of Germany and the Jarrow March.
Depending on your style, you could start off with the last question (or you can start with Question 1, then 5, then 2,3,4 in their respective order) as this reduces pressure on time constraints as you've already opened the paper, this reduces the need for rushing and thus means that your answer will be high quality and with enough detail, can guarantee you top band in the Mark scheme. 20-24 minutes is the recommended time you should spend on the last question out of the 75 minutes given.

Good luck with Tomorrows exams!

I was going to do the paper back to front but i think you need to be familiar with the sources so i might do it in the correct order, or does that not matter? do they use different sources for the last questions
Original post by chrlhyms
I was going to do the paper back to front but i think you need to be familiar with the sources so i might do it in the correct order, or does that not matter? do they use different sources for the last questions

It depends, you can tackle the exam in whatever way that tickles your fancy.. For the second point, yes. In the last years exam, the last question gave you the chance to study 3 SOURCES whereas the papers before suggested you study ALL of them.
(edited 7 years ago)
It depends, you can tackle the exam in whatever way you want. For the second point, yes. In the last years exam, the last question gave you the chance to study 3 SOURCES whereas the papers before that suggested you study ALL of them.

time is definitely an issue i might just do it the correct way as i find by that point i know the sources maybe? idk
Original post by chrlhyms
time is definitely an issue i might just do it the correct way as i find by that point i know the sources maybe? idk

I learned that the hard way in the Unit 2 exam, time was running out so I had to skip question 2 and did question 3 (last question).
Either I'm THAT slow at writing or that I'm writing too much information in the question. Probably both, I wanted to make sure the examiner can at least be able to read what I wrote in my responses! :angry:
I learned that the hard way in the Unit 2 exam, time was running out so I had to skip question 2 and did question 3 (last question).
Either I'm THAT slow at writing or that I'm writing too much information in the question. Probably both, I wanted to make sure the examiner can at least be able to read what I wrote in my responses! :angry:

omg that sounds tough! im sorry to hear about that; yeah thats what im worried is going to happen to me as you know you've done the last question first so pressure is gone i guess
Original post by Gingy2

I think I'm doing the same thing as you - my prediction is General Strike as they haven't done it in a while
Reply 10
Women in the war, D Day, Evacuation or the NHS. Im 90% sure it would be one of them
My teacher thinks it will be on the Liberal Reforms as they haven't done that since 2009. I really hope it's not on the general strike though, I find that topic pretty boring :frown:
Ignore my comment, I do 2A instead of 2B :redface:
Original post by drogon
Women in the war, D Day, Evacuation or the NHS. Im 90% sure it would be one of them

I do not know if the NHS has ever come up in their exam AT ALL whereas the Blitz and Evacuation was on the Sample Assessment paper. So I'd bet 95% chance for NHS to come up. :biggrin:
Reply 14
I do not know if the NHS has ever come up in their exam AT ALL whereas the Blitz and Evacuation was on the Sample Assessment paper. So I'd bet 95% chance for NHS to come up. :biggrin:

June 2014 Beveridge ReportJune 2013 Food supplies and rationingJan 2013 Experienced of the unemployed in 1930s June 2012 Dunkirk evacuationJan 2012 Women on the home frontJune 2011 1945 General ElectionJan 2011 Jarrow March June 2010 D-Day & Germany’s defeat

These are what came up in the past, im not sure if there is a 2009 series and i dont know what came up then. The problem is that they can easy give us something again but covering a different aspect of the event but yh, i would put some emphasis on the nhs since they've never done a repeat
Original post by drogon
June 2014 Beveridge ReportJune 2013 Food supplies and rationingJan 2013 Experienced of the unemployed in 1930s June 2012 Dunkirk evacuationJan 2012 Women on the home frontJune 2011 1945 General ElectionJan 2011 Jarrow March June 2010 D-Day & Germany’s defeat

These are what came up in the past, im not sure if there is a 2009 series and i dont know what came up then. The problem is that they can easy give us something again but covering a different aspect of the event but yh, i would put some emphasis on the nhs since they've never done a repeat

The website where they archive the exam papers have links to exams that only date back to June 2010. It appears that they do it in a cycle. A scenario would be: NHS this year, D-Day in 2017 season, Jarrow 2018 and so on so forth.
Reply 16
do you think they'll repeat a topic that they've done recently? that'll be pretty harsh...
Exam question layout
Q1) have three short paragraphs if you can so 3 inferences. This can be achieved through starting each with 'this source suggests'. Say something that is not rewritten from the source. E.g what does the Luftwaffe wasting their fighter planes tell you? That they were inexperienced? A failure for Germany? That they underestimated the RAF? Only need one for each paragraph backed up with a quote from the source.
Q2) purpose question. This might seem daunting 😱but it's not, believe in yourself 😌😊
State the message of the source then state how this relates to what it's trying to achieve. And how does it achieve this purpose through its content? From this consider whether it's successful in achieving its purpose. You can link this to your own knowledge.
Q3) have three paragraphs starting with one reason/ cause/ feature/ consequence to make it easy for the examiner. Take three ideas for each paragraph from the source but written in your own words. Then back up this idea with own knowledge to give a solid, clear answer to the question. E.g. One reason why the Battle of Britain took place was because the Luftwaffe wanted to beat the RAF as shown in Source C. Hitler needed to destroy the RAF in order to try and invade Britain. Therefore, using his Luftwaffe against the RAF, it shows that the defeat of the RAF was a crucial and necessary factor that needed to be dealt with.
Q4) in this question, you have to consider the reliability of the sources separately in separate paragraphs one after the other. Think about the content: make inferences from images, words and tone. Think whether it fits your own knowledge of an event to discuss if it's has limitations that undermine its accuracy. Next evaluate the context of each source: when was it created? Was it at the beginning, during, or after an event? Are you getting the full picture of an event? Does it reflect the experience of everyone, everywhere, all the time? Then, come to a judgement on each sources reliability separately! You are not asked to compare them!??!?
I may post an example later if many request so.
Q5) For this one you NEED a plan 🙂😳 choose which sources agree or diagram with a statement - there probably will be some that can agree with both sides and this will help when coming to a judgement. Make sure you also have own knowledge and consider if your own knowledge agrees with one side more than the other. Use comparison connectives to clearly make it known to the examiner you are looking at both sides - JUST DO IT
Use own knowledge to back up points throughout. Consider reliability and accuracy though NOP as well. Eg. Source A was more reliable support because... The sources will never fully agree with the statement: they may partially, quite strongly, to a small extent etc
An example will be posted if requested!
Hope you found this useful as I did for revision myself
We will all ace this exam 😉
Original post by Gingy2

LAST MIN REVISION PEOPLE! The test is most likely going to be on topic 1 or 3, more likely 1, because it hasn't come up in a few years now.
Original post by Jennifer9878
Exam question layout
Q1) have three short paragraphs if you can so 3 inferences. This can be achieved through starting each with 'this source suggests'. Say something that is not rewritten from the source. E.g what does the Luftwaffe wasting their fighter planes tell you? That they were inexperienced? A failure for Germany? That they underestimated the RAF? Only need one for each paragraph backed up with a quote from the source.
Q2) purpose question. This might seem daunting 😱but it's not, believe in yourself 😌😊
State the message of the source then state how this relates to what it's trying to achieve. And how does it achieve this purpose through its content? From this consider whether it's successful in achieving its purpose. You can link this to your own knowledge.
Q3) have three paragraphs starting with one reason/ cause/ feature/ consequence to make it easy for the examiner. Take three ideas for each paragraph from the source but written in your own words. Then back up this idea with own knowledge to give a solid, clear answer to the question. E.g. One reason why the Battle of Britain took place was because the Luftwaffe wanted to beat the RAF as shown in Source C. Hitler needed to destroy the RAF in order to try and invade Britain. Therefore, using his Luftwaffe against the RAF, it shows that the defeat of the RAF was a crucial and necessary factor that needed to be dealt with.
Q4) in this question, you have to consider the reliability of the sources separately in separate paragraphs one after the other. Think about the content: make inferences from images, words and tone. Think whether it fits your own knowledge of an event to discuss if it's has limitations that undermine its accuracy. Next evaluate the context of each source: when was it created? Was it at the beginning, during, or after an event? Are you getting the full picture of an event? Does it reflect the experience of everyone, everywhere, all the time? Then, come to a judgement on each sources reliability separately! You are not asked to compare them!??!?
I may post an example later if many request so.
Q5) For this one you NEED a plan 🙂😳 choose which sources agree or diagram with a statement - there probably will be some that can agree with both sides and this will help when coming to a judgement. Make sure you also have own knowledge and consider if your own knowledge agrees with one side more than the other. Use comparison connectives to clearly make it known to the examiner you are looking at both sides - JUST DO IT
Use own knowledge to back up points throughout. Consider reliability and accuracy though NOP as well. Eg. Source A was more reliable support because... The sources will never fully agree with the statement: they may partially, quite strongly, to a small extent etc
An example will be posted if requested!
Hope you found this useful as I did for revision myself
We will all ace this exam 😉

For Question 3, 2 points is really all you need for top marks, providing that you link you the source and use your own knowledge but the mark scheme says 2 or more so I guess it's always better to provide an extra point just in case one of your points is weaker than the other.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending