Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Has anyone on either side thought that longer term, you may get the opposite?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm apprehensive of pyrrhic victories, and 'careful what you wish for' springs to mind. If we have, over the next few decades, terrible events beyond our control, things that would have happened regardless of us being in the EU or not, that is going to be blamed squarely on the side that wins, even if people can see a rational argument that it would have happened anyway, it will not fail to influence their thinking.

It's not at all inconceivable that Brexit followed by terrible couple of decades would equal blame, succumbing to cynical forces naysayers and those who want to punish it, and eventual softening up and re-entry under the premise that we are proven worse off, and further integration, and a this time a far more firmly closed door and sealed fate.

It's also not inconceivable that remain could win, have a disastrous couple of decades, we still keep the degree of integration we have, don't join the Euro, and the case for Brexit is this time much stronger and the result if won would be more longer lasting and with a better outcome in more optimistic times. NB-I only used two decades as a guess, could be more or less.

Since I am much more a long termer who thinks the long term will prove a re-localisation in economies and cultures, and who wants racial integration etc, and think that climate change and even land masses and geography changing will be a major factor, I would favour long term Brexit over short term, obviously.
    So I'm thinking could remain end up a better result for people such as me.
    Could Brexit be better also for 'long term' remainers?

Just some thoughts that occurred to me the last few days. I was overcome by a melancholy from the initial vehemence I had one way, to leave, I don't know if it was just the events of the shooting, but I think more just a sense that idealists on either side are misguided, that the world will continue to be cynically hollowed out for the few versus the many, and that global events are grim and beyond our control.

I think I just started to feel the cynical over politics again, our inability to change economics, more and more neoliberalism and corporate control which so many people are so vehemently indoctrinated into and in favour of. And, as I say the sense what I want short term might cause the opposite.

Your thoughts?

Am I wrong?

Could you paragraph it a bit better please?

Your points could be substantiated better too.

In answer to your main point, it depends on what people want obviously- which changes over time.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 20, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Cats: Yay or nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.