The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

First day at manchester....

Okay so I am getting really nerve wrecked as my time to go to university is coming near!! I don't really know anyone there and presumably 90% of other freshers don't either so how do we start up conversations with people we don't know????:confused:. What if I end up as a lonely anorak:s-smilie: :frown: which quite obviously I don't want to !! I know there is freshers week and there is the signing up for societies and classes but I was thinking can any current student please give any advice or info as in what they did to start to get to know people....during the mentioned events or any other as a matter of fact. I think it would be pretty helpful for all the freshers out there:smile:.

:tee:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey there!

Yeh, it can be pretty daunting, but i would say 99% of people are feeling exactly the same!

the standard questions you will get asked are:

a) name
b) course
c) halls

now, everyone can answer those questions!

Your course will have some kind of meeting in freshers week i imagine, where you can meet others doing your course etc, other than that, first night you just meet your flat mates and head down to the halls bar, where u meet other people from your hall, after that, its not nearly so bad!

Just stay positive, be open to chat to anyone and be yourself!! by a few days into freshers week you will have some funny story about something that has hapened in your flat/hall that you can share with people, its really much easier than you think, so doooon't worry!!!

what are yous tudying?

Jx
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Mechanical engineering with a language :smile:. Well hopefully things will get easier once I am there (if I get the grades :rolleyes: ) but it is very daunting at the moment....I hope things turn out ok:s-smilie:.

Reply 3
as you said everyone will be in the same situation. the engineering department/society thing have a curry night which you could go on, just start up a conversation with the ppl sitting next to you (you really will become sick of the questions mentioned above after your first week or so!). i met some people that way (and i don't do engineering!!) they'll probably also be some other stuff organised, or departmental talks - people tend to just start up conversation with the person sitting next to them in those at first. just be open to talking and working with people, even if you're too shy to talk to them first, people will probably start talking to you. good luck :smile:
You won't become a lonely old anorak, so don't panic. And if you're really getting desperate, you can come talk to me :smile:
Reply 5
Im in the same position as you Ana. Im starting life sciences in September and theres only about 10/12 weeks to go! Yes its a nervy time but I'm sure we'll be okay! There'll be so many opportunitiesto make friends from what I've been told so I'm trying not to worry to much. What accomodation have you applied for?
Reply 6
I'm really excited, I think it will be kind of like sixth form only a lot bigger with an infinite amount of freedom and you go home to your friends at the end of the day instead of your family. Sounds like a good time to me!
Reply 7
I applied for Hulme hall, Allen Hall and Dalton-Ellis. What about you cameleon and the others?? I have gone for catering as I thought it would be easier for me to make the transition from home to uni. I just thought of an idea...why don't us freshers exchange email ids and start chatting or something cause that way we will most definelty know each other well. it would help the lonely streak IMO once we are there. PM me or just post here if anyone is interested to talk to me :biggrin: or be my friend :redface:.

Reply 8
Ooooosh sounds interesting. If people want my msn it's on my profile, pm me before you add me though or I may not accept :biggrin:
I;m thinking about getting a t-shirt with regards to THE QUESTIONSJust get MY name, Course and halls printed on it then if they ask the questions I'll turn and point lol
Anannya
Okay so I am getting really nerve wrecked as my time to go to university is coming near!! I don't really know anyone there and presumably 90% of other freshers don't either so how do we start up conversations with people we don't know????:confused:. What if I end up as a lonely anorak:s-smilie: :frown: which quite obviously I don't want to !! I know there is freshers week and there is the signing up for societies and classes but I was thinking can any current student please give any advice or info as in what they did to start to get to know people....during the mentioned events or any other as a matter of fact. I think it would be pretty helpful for all the freshers out there:smile:.

you are likely to be drunk, say hello and try not to projectile vom:biggrin:
Reply 10
daggy
Ooooosh sounds interesting. If people want my msn it's on my profile, pm me before you add me though or I may not accept :biggrin:
I;m thinking about getting a t-shirt with regards to THE QUESTIONSJust get MY name, Course and halls printed on it then if they ask the questions I'll turn and point lol

Bit nearer the time we should start an MSN thread to start getting to know people :smile:
Try to open ur mouth to interact with others, u will never feel urself a lonely anorak. if ur lips was sealed by superglue, no friends could be made.
Reply 12
Yeah msn thing sounds good
Reply 13
I don't have msn :frown: Oh well, we can communicate via thestudentroom as well right? We should start a 'getting to know people' thread or something? I can't wait to start uni! :smile: Also, to all you unconditionals out there, from looking at past threads in this forum, I think you will get accommodated next week :biggrin: I'm so excited, I can't wait to find out where I'm gonna be!
Reply 14
Ooh, wait, I have facebook :smile: If anyone's on there then pm me and I'll tell you what my name is so you can find me and we can chat or something.
Reply 15
_-Arctic-Monkey-_
Bit nearer the time we should start an MSN thread to start getting to know people :smile:

Yeah that's a good idea - maybe start it after results day, I wouldn't want to be more depressed at missing my place haha :biggrin:
Reply 16
Hello.I'm a mature student 24 years old.I have an unconditional offer from the University of Manchester for Bsc.Management.Although I'm stressed since on the 17th of September I'll fly to Manchester,I also have the same fears like the girl on top since I don't like being lonely and it's important knowing at least a few people.But I'd like to advise anyone going for 1st year there and students of 2nd or 3nd year that the reason of travelling to Manchester isn't firstly having fun.It's the fact that we want a good degree,a useful qualification for our life.So what should worry someone is to find ways to get acclimatised the sooner as possible to the teaching style and requirements of the university.I believe that when someone is patient and not restricted to himself he will know people.I'm not talking about friends since as a 24 years old man I'm telling you that real friends in our life will not be more than the fingers or our palm.
Reply 17
Anannya
I applied for Hulme hall, Allen Hall and Dalton-Ellis. What about you cameleon and the others?? I have gone for catering as I thought it would be easier for me to make the transition from home to uni. I just thought of an idea...why don't us freshers exchange email ids and start chatting or something cause that way we will most definelty know each other well. it would help the lonely streak IMO once we are there. PM me or just post here if anyone is interested to talk to me :biggrin: or be my friend :redface:.

I've applied for Oak House, Bowden Court and cant remember name of third. OOhhh so excited someone said we may get accomodated next week if unconditional! I really hope I get Oak House. Yeh we should get to know each other a bit before we go.
Reply 18
I applied for Oak House as a 1st choice too!Actually I applied in April,I called the accomodation service 1 week ago and they told me that I have to wait until about the 15th of July or for even more.Let's see.
Meh, private halls! Guess I'm away from everyone. Even stuck in Victoria Park, and about 1 minute walk from where my girlfriend will be staying...haha, oh well. I'll still be around in the union/fallowfield, so if I see any lost freshers I'll try to be social!

And hope my drunk Scottish accent doesnt scare anyone off...:frown:

Latest

Trending

Trending