The Student Room Group

GCSE EDEXCEL History B: The Transformation of Surgery (21st June) Thread

Just a thread for any questions,resources and predictions.
As the exam focuses on a specific topic, I have listed what has come up each year so we can predict what might come up tomorrow:
June 2015: WW1
June 2014: Anaesthetics
June 2013: Blood Loss
Jan 2013: Opposition

So perhaps Antiseptics could come up?
I'm guessing blood loss
does anyone know if we need to know about plastic surgery? for example gillies
Reply 3
Original post by beccaleee0
does anyone know if we need to know about plastic surgery? for example gillies

We need to know about it briefly if the exam asks a question about how war advanced surgery. All we need to put for that is that war lead to the advancement of plastic surgery through the early use of skin grafts by Gillies to improve the appearance of disfigured soldiers.
thanks, our teacher didnt really teach us surgery so I wasnt sure.
Original post by Kpharoah
We need to know about it briefly if the exam asks a question about how war advanced surgery. All we need to put for that is that war lead to the advancement of plastic surgery through the early use of skin grafts by Gillies to improve the appearance of disfigured soldiers.
So wait? the entire exam is on one whole topic??
Reply 6
Original post by FatimaKhan2102
So wait? the entire exam is on one whole topic??

yes it mostly focuses on one of the areas of surgery. In the source booklet on the first page it should say what the sources focus on and hence the questions will also be based on the same area. This has been done for all past papers, except once when the theme was "opposition" so for that you could write anything.
this doesn't mean you don't have to revise everything though, you still should because some knowledge on blood loss could be useful for war in some ways.
I hope the exam goes well for you. :smile:
Reply 7
or dealing with pain?
Reply 8
Original post by emmsiriah
or dealing with pain?

Yep! That would come under Anaesthetics as those were created to prevent pain.
Reply 9
i hate surgery :frown: so hard

Posted from TSR Mobile
easiest exam ive ever sat
Anyone know what the representation showed? As I thought it was Lister and carbolic acid, but then my mate reckons it was just showing surgery, whereas another thought it was anaesthetics (both of which I also briefly mentioned).
Original post by bobongo98765
Anyone know what the representation showed? As I thought it was Lister and carbolic acid, but then my mate reckons it was just showing surgery, whereas another thought it was anaesthetics (both of which I also briefly mentioned).

I basically described what I saw along with what it showed about treatment and surgery during that time period, the representation they gave this year was really helpful in giving me an overall explanation about the representation. The best representation they could ever give:smile:) (although I said it was James Simpson because I saw the mask on the patient then I thought chloroform:frown: however, you are right it is Lister:smile: )
Original post by whostudyingherr
I basically described what I saw along with what it showed about treatment and surgery during that time period, the representation they gave this year was really helpful in giving me an overall explanation about the representation. The best representation they could ever give:smile:) (although I said it was James Simpson because I saw the mask on the patient then I thought chloroform:frown: however, you are right it is Lister:smile: )

Ok thanks.
Can someone make an unofficial mark scheme please because I'd like to know where I went wrong. Thanks in advance.

Quick Reply

Latest