The Student Room Group

The NBA 2019-20 Thread - Free agency is mad - Westbrook to Houston, CP3 to OKC!?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zionpower
As a Warrior fan, did you qualify your team as an Elite two years ago? Why

Any team that wins many games, less defeats during the regular season and is qualified for the playoffs is an elite team.

Nah fam I'm done. There comes a point where there is just no point debating.

Elite teams are title contenders. Teams which actually have a decent chance of winning a title. Las year there were 4 teams capable of winning in the West and one from the east. Pretty simple really.

If you are seriously saying that the likes of Toronto etc are at the same level as gs, okc and co then you are deluded.
Reply 721
Original post by MrDystopia
x

Original post by MamzZass
x

Keep your ring
Of course it wasn't. 51-31 is a good team, middle seeded but nothing on par with the Spurs/OKC/Clippers that season.

I think using such a broad definition will run you into trouble when discussing where teams lie in comparison to one another. For example, last season's Memphis Grizzlies, finishing 42-40 and in 7th, by your definition, is elite? You can happily say they're on par with the Dubs or OKC last season? Factually, you're incorrect, judging by the games, stats, players or whatever other criteria you want to use.

It's all good and well saying those with more Ws than Ls and qualify are decent teams. But then elite is where you further divide the teams up. There is just no way you can seriously say there are any team on par with the Cavs for example in the East.

What is the difference between an Elite team and a title contender?
Nah fam I'm done. There comes a point where there is just no point debating.

Elite teams are title contenders. Teams which actually have a decent chance of winning a title. Las year there were 4 teams capable of winning in the West and one from the east. Pretty simple really.

If you are seriously saying that the likes of Toronto etc are at the same level as gs, okc and co then you are deluded.

it is like saying no one can win the Premier league except ManU and Chelsea
What is the difference between an Elite team and a title contender?

Depends on how broad your definition of both is (As we've seen from yours). In my opinion, there is no difference. The teams that stand a realistic chance of contending for the title are the elite teams (So Dubs/OKC/Spurs/Clippers and Cavs for West/East).

It's only by being pedantic do we get very broad definitions such as 'technically any team could win'. Technically true yes, the 76ers could win the NBA next season. However taking a basic look at the state of the league/teams/players, once can see that that is actually pretty far fetched (And I'd say, almost impossible). There's clear tiers when dividing the 'awful', 'bad', 'good' and 'elite' teams.

It's interesting, there's a lot less parity in the league than many would imagine what with the drafts and salary cap. But in actuality parity to such an extent where many different teams could win hasn't been around since the 70s.
Depends on how broad your definition of both is (As we've seen from yours). In my opinion, there is no difference. The teams that stand a realistic chance of contending for the title are the elite teams (So Dubs/OKC/Spurs/Clippers and Cavs for West/East).

It's only by being pedantic do we get very broad definitions such as 'technically any team could win'. Technically true yes, the 76ers could win the NBA next season. However taking a basic look at the state of the league/teams/players, once can see that that is actually pretty far fetched (And I'd say, almost impossible). There's clear tiers when dividing the 'awful', 'bad', 'good' and 'elite' teams.
.....But in actuality parity to such an extent where many different teams could win hasn't been around since the 70s.

the definition can still go further.
If you opinion is based on players composing each team then, i can see why you are saying that after mentioning the 76ers.
in 2014, the Warriors were not at the beginning of the season an elite team. Nobody imagined that the warriors can be champion.
but they were title contender as any team is.
i am not looking into the state of a team to say whether they are title contenders or not for.
i can only say a team is an elite or not based on my definition earlier.

so, to me Elite and title contender are different.

i gave an example with the premier league earlier
the definition can still go further.
If you opinion is based on players composing each team then, i can see why you are saying that after mentioning the 76ers.
in 2014, the Warriors were not at the beginning of the season an elite team. Nobody imagined that the warriors can be champion.
but they were title contender as any team is.
i am not looking into the state of a team to say whether they are title contenders or not for.
i can only say a team is an elite or not based on my definition earlier.

so, to me Elite and title contender are different.

i gave an example with the premier league earlier

Firstly you need to get rid of the idea that every team is a title contender. Yes, in theory every team is but in actuality they are most definitely not.

Also there is a direct correlation with teams being elite and title-contenders. For one to be considered elite they must be a title contender and vice-versa.

As for the warriors, in the beginning of the season they were not considered to be elite but by all-stars break they should've been considered elite. To put it bluntly, after the all-stars is when you can properly categorise teams hence why the warriors weren't considered elite til after.

An elite team must have a superstar and a top starting lineup, with also a considerably good record. Hence although toronto had a good record they did not have a superstar and so were not elite.

You bpl example was horrible. Football is different from nba. In football anyone has a chance, see Leicester. In the bpl you don't have to be elite to win. In the nba you do.
(edited 7 years ago)
You bpl example was horrible. Football is different from nba. In football anyone has a chance, see Leicester. In the bpl you don't have to be elite to win. In the nba you do.

Agreed the skill level is far more discrete. I'd argue Lowry is a superstar, just one that chokes in the playoffs.
Reply 728
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Agreed the skill level is far more discrete. I'd argue Lowry is a superstar, just one that chokes in the playoffs.

But... Wouldn't that not make him a superstar? Lol :tongue:
Original post by eden3
But... Wouldn't that not make him a superstar? Lol :tongue:

Nah he's just a choke artist. He plays really well throughout the regular season though. And he still had one or two good games against the Cavs iirc, going back home. He just doesn't have a team that can carry him when he falls, not throwing shade at any other players but that team really relies heavily on him.
Reply 730
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Nah he's just a choke artist. He plays really well throughout the regular season though. And he still had one or two good games against the Cavs iirc, going back home. He just doesn't have a team that can carry him when he falls, not throwing shade at any other players but that team really relies heavily on him.

Hmm I see what you're saying but I still don't agree. :/ It's true he had good games at home but it took him like 10 years for him to have a decent shooting night in the playoffs this year lol (especially against Miami).

Anyway enough arguing about that ... thoughts on DeRozan? Who's better.
Original post by eden3
Hmm I see what you're saying but I still don't agree. :/ It's true he had good games at home but it took him like 10 years for him to have a decent shooting night in the playoffs this year lol (especially against Miami).

Anyway enough arguing about that ... thoughts on DeRozan? Who's better.

I've always felt DeRozan was better but he choked even harder so :colonhash:

Damn Lowry is 30, looks hella young, I always though DeRozan was the older of the 2

Not really. Leicester winning was a statistical anomaly. Prior to that, only 5 teams had won out of 47 since the league began.

I do agree though, that the window to being elite and winning in the NBA is much smaller, given the smaller amount of players per team in the league. To win you REALLY have to outperform.
Draymond having a weird ass year. Kicking dicks, swiping at dicks now posting his dick on snapchat. :lol:

Firstly you need to get rid of the idea that every team is a title contender. Yes, in theory every team is but in actuality they are most definitely not.

your point is clear and you are right in some aspects.

An elite team must have a superstar and a top starting lineup, with also a considerably good record. Hence although toronto had a good record they did not have a superstar and so were not elite.

Lowry and Derozan are superstars. come one!However, Football is like Basketball i don't know where is the difference.

The warriors are the example of what i am saying from the beginning. they were not an elite team.
Being title contender is way of thinking that every team has. they were not surprised after All start break. they just believed they can do it.
Anyone has a Chance to win, otherwise the Heat (of Lebron-wade-Bosh) would have been champion every year.
Reply 735
Original post by Malevolent
Draymond having a weird ass year. Kicking dicks, swiping at dicks now posting his dick on snapchat. :lol:

man gives no f**ks :rofl:
Original post by eden3
man gives no f**ks :rofl:

The USA team posing around in practice by covering their dicks. Amazing hahaha :lol:
Reply 737
Original post by Malevolent
The USA team posing around in practice by covering their dicks. Amazing hahaha :lol:

LMFAO no way ... :rofl: I'm dead :lol:
Reply 738
[video="youtube;IX8VwIZZikM"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IX8VwIZZikM[/video]
Original post by eden3
LMFAO no way ... :rofl: I'm dead :lol:

Here you go :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest