Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First Sentence "Challenge"

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'll preface this by saying this is inspired by a booktube tag. It's just a fun little activity that could help with finding what book on your shelves you should pick up next, and introduce new books to different people
    Basically, just go through your bookshelf and find some books with great first sentences (say, 10, maybe?) - regardless of whether you have read them or not - and post them here

(I haven't seen another thread like this, but if one exists please don't hesitate to let me know )

(P.S - I'll update with my list soon haha )

Okay, so I ended up finding 20 total

1. "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." - Daphne Du Maurier, Rebecca

2. "All happy families are alike; each unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." - Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

3. "No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

4. "Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins." - Vladimir Nabokov, Lolita

5. "Mrs Dalloway said she would buy the flowers herself." - Virginia Woolf, Mrs Dalloway

6. "Let me tell you about when I was a girl, our grandfather says." - Ali Smith, Girl Meets Boy

7. "It was a queer, sultry summer, the summer they electrocuted the Rosenburgs, and I didn't know what I was doing in New York." - Sylvia Plath, The Bell Jar
    8. "Ten days after the war ended, my sister Laura drove a car off a bridge." - Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

9. "Sad; so sad, those smoky-rose, smoky-mauve evenings of late autumn, sad enough to pierce the heart." - Angela Carter, Black Venus

10. "I told Helen my story and she went home and cried." - Barbara Comyns, Our Spoons Came From Woolworths

11. "In the first place, Cranford is in possession of the Amazons; all the holders of houses, above a certain rent, are women." - Elizabeth Gaskell, Cranford

12. "From July of his sophomore year in college until the following January, all Tsukuru Tazaki could think about was dying." - Haruki Murakami, Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage

13. "He was just tight enough and just familiar enough with the house to be able to go out into the kitchen alone, apparently to get ice, but actually to sober up a little; he was not quite enough a friend of the family to pass out on the living room couch." - Shirley Jackson, The Lottery and Other Stories

14. "Does such a thing as 'the fatal flaw,' that showy dark crack running down the middle of a life, exist outside literature?" - Donna Tartt, The Secret History

15. "When Gregor Samsa awoke one morning from troubled dreams, he found himself changed into a monstrous cockroach in his bed." - Franz Kafka, Metamorphosis

16. "Jasper Swift, owner though not sole possessor of Durraghglass, was back in the kitchen where he belonged." - Molly Keane, Time After Time

17. "I have never liked the theory that poltergeists only come into houses where there are children, because I think it is simply too much for any one house to have poltergeists and children." - Shirley Jackson, Let Me Tell You

18. "Who that cares to know much of the history of man, and how the mysterious mixture behaves under the varying experiments of Time, has not dwelt, at least briefly, on the life of Saint Theresa, has not smiled with some gentleness at the thought of the little girl walking forth one morning hand-in-hand with her still smaller brother, to go and seek martyrdom in the country of the Moors?" George Eliot, Middlemarch

19. "Jack: My mother used to tell me that I was a changeling, born out of an ostrich egg." - Abby Geni, The Last Animal

20: "Writing, Writers, The Writing Life - if this last is not an oxymoron." - Margaret Atwood, Negotiating with the Dead: On Writers and Writing

This is a really good idea... I'm going to do this when I get home!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.