The Student Room Group

Never learning to drive

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatima1998
any specific website or app :erm:
my dad keeps saying, you aren't gonna pass the test in one go because he did it 3 times and then passed his test :afraid: even though he is smart :unsure:

I have a Mac so I spent a few pounds on an app from the app store which was basically just a bank of thousands of questions! Most people stick with the official DSA discs though which is the same thing.

Ignore your dad, haha. That's not a very reassuring thing to say to your kid! Same with my dad though - preaches about how smart he is/was but he failed his too!
You only need 43/50 (I think) + the test questions are worded exactly like the mock ones + most of it is common sense. Just a case of doing the questions over and over again. Repetitive, but it sticks!
Original post by Mochassassin
I have a Mac so I spent a few pounds on an app from the app store which was basically just a bank of thousands of questions! Most people stick with the official DSA discs though which is the same thing.

Ignore your dad, haha. That's not a very reassuring thing to say to your kid! Same with my dad though - preaches about how smart he is/was but he failed his too!
You only need 43/50 (I think) + the test questions are worded exactly like the mock ones + most of it is common sense. Just a case of doing the questions over and over again. Repetitive, but it sticks!

:ta: x will do "pastpapers" on theory test :lol:
I'm 19, I have a full UK drivers license but haven't driven at all since I received it. I don't trust other drivers so I just don't like the idea of driving. but I get around just fine, I'm considering getting a motorcycle though as I might have a bit more agility on the road :3
It takes some people lots of tests and lessons. My license is automatic only because it's less stress and it is an option that suits all budgets these days.

In some parts of the country not driving leaves you stranded. In other parts, congestion and parking fees and regular buses etc makes it easy enough to rely on public transport.
Reply 24
Original post by Platopus
I'm 18. When I turned 17, I was really excited about learning to drive. I passed my theory, took loads of lessons.

But... Well. I never progressed much past the standard I was at during lesson one. Seriously, I took as many hours of lessons as my friends did in total before passing their test except I never got out of gear 2, had to stay on side streets and steering remains a mystery to me.

So, I gave up. I don't really want to learn anymore.

Is this bad?

I know exactly how you feel! It seemed impossible to me at first but with persistence and a new instructor (which helped a lot by the way!) I passed first time with four minors and now I drive every day! I definitely think it's possible but maybe consider a new instructor? Obviously it's not essential (especially living in London) but it's nice to have the choice! Maybe you'll feel differently in a few years: there's nothing to stop you taking you test aged 45! I definitely don't think it's bad though: I know a lot of people who don't want to learn!
Reply 25
Original post by Noodle0
Sounds like you've had an incredibly bad driving instructor who has been taking advantage of you.

Ah you are being too kind. Unfortunately, I can't jump at this opportunity to blame someone else as my brother was taught by the very same instructor and was driving as if he had done it from birth within hours :frown:
Reply 26
Original post by fatima1998
why people dont pass their driving license at first :afraid: is it toooo hhhaaarrrddd to pass :erm:
which bit is the hardest. I am only scared for theory test :redface:

Oh don't worry. I prepped for one day for my theory and passed first time, so did my brother and most of my friends.
Reply 27
Original post by Magic Member
I felt the same, hated it, thought I would never get it, test ready after about a year. I'm actually pretty good now and kept to a manual. I found it helpful to review what I'd done between each lesson throughout the week rather than setting it aside until the next lesson came up.

Pretty much how I felt, usually I'm good at things, even sport so I was really down at how impossible I found it. To me it seems like you're confined and reliant on other people if you don't get your license.

It's totally up to you.
I'd say persist like the other poster up there as it's a useful skill to have but at the end of the day, it depends on whether you'll end up driving to work or whatever in the future.
I know plenty of people who have never taken driving lessons and they get by just fine with public transport.

Yes but your quality of life will be reduced.

Original post by rac1977
I would persevere - driving does give you a lot more freedom. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

Original post by Duncan2012
Ever shopped at IKEA? Done a big food shop? Taken a cat to the vet? While not impossible without a car, some things are so much easier if you can drive.

Original post by dskinner

but seriously i suck so much at left reverse maneuver lol I still can't do it to this day xD

Thanks for your replies! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only person to feel this way. I can see that it would be a useful skill to have so I'll think it over.
Reply 28
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
It takes some people lots of tests and lessons. My license is automatic only because it's less stress and it is an option that suits all budgets these days.

In some parts of the country not driving leaves you stranded. In other parts, congestion and parking fees and regular buses etc makes it easy enough to rely on public transport.

Original post by AHC25
I know exactly how you feel! It seemed impossible to me at first but with persistence and a new instructor (which helped a lot by the way!) I passed first time with four minors and now I drive every day! I definitely think it's possible but maybe consider a new instructor? Obviously it's not essential (especially living in London) but it's nice to have the choice! Maybe you'll feel differently in a few years: there's nothing to stop you taking you test aged 45! I definitely don't think it's bad though: I know a lot of people who don't want to learn!

Thanks, both of you. This does give me hope that maybe I will someday get there... And if not I won't be completely inhibited!
I'm 18. When I turned 17, I was really excited about learning to drive. I passed my theory, took loads of lessons.

But... Well. I never progressed much past the standard I was at during lesson one. Seriously, I took as many hours of lessons as my friends did in total before passing their test except I never got out of gear 2, had to stay on side streets and steering remains a mystery to me.

Is this bad?

Driving is the best thing since roller-skates.

Is this bad?

I'm in the same position. I'd change your driving instructor, as it sounds like they could be the problem.
Reply 31
Original post by MrFudgeTheGuy
Driving is the best thing since roller-skates.

Well I've never tried rollerskating but I get your point, thanks.
Original post by AnnieGakusei
I'm in the same position. I'd change your driving instructor, as it sounds like they could be the problem.

I think I will probably try that, thanks
It's definitely worth persevering-not possessing a full drivers licence will seriously hamper your employment prospects as many employers require you to have the flexibility that driving brings. Carry on learning on manual as passing your test on a manual will give you the most flexibility in life.
I would not give up and continue.

Who would not want to drive?

when its raining and the weather is bad or when the public transport is at its all time low, then you will be in your nice and cosy car, not having to worry about anything.
Thanks for your replies! It's comforting to know that I'm not the only person to feel this way. I can see that it would be a useful skill to have so I'll think it over.

All the best Platopus, you will get there man.
Have you tried booking lessons with a different instructor?
It took me 2 different instructors & about 40+ hours worth of driving lessons to be to the standard I'm at now.
I have my test on wednesday and I feel nothing but ready for it! (and a little bit nervous)
Persevere and tell yourself you can do it :smile:

Original post by AnnieGakusei

I agree with Annie, OP! Your instructor plays a pretty big part in all of this. I had three crappy ones before I found the one. It took 3 years but there's no bigger relief than having that pass certificate in your hand! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!
Just out of curiosity how do you find sports? Or for example if someone threw an object to you would you be likely to catch it? Maybe there is a reason you never took to it? something that may explain the coordination issues? Regardless I would definitely recommend trying again though to be fair it is not as crucial as when you have a full time job and public transport is not a valid excuse for being late.
Definitely in 10years from now there will be lots of self-driven cars. After that we can just wait for some drunk idiot to crush into a group of people and make driving cars in cities illegal. You heard it first from me!
Reply 39
All the best Platopus, you will get there man.

*girl... But thanks :smile:

Original post by daintydaisy
Have you tried booking lessons with a different instructor?
It took me 2 different instructors & about 40+ hours worth of driving lessons to be to the standard I'm at now.
I have my test on wednesday and I feel nothing but ready for it! (and a little bit nervous)
Persevere and tell yourself you can do it :smile:

I agree with Annie, OP! Your instructor plays a pretty big part in all of this. I had three crappy ones before I found the one. It took 3 years but there's no bigger relief than having that pass certificate in your hand! Best of luck with whatever you decide to do!

My brother took lessons with the same instructor and learnt very quickly, so I'm afraid I only have myself to blame. But yes, I will probably try a different instructor, though I don't want to offend my existing one.

Original post by VMD100
Just out of curiosity how do you find sports? Or for example if someone threw an object to you would you be likely to catch it? Maybe there is a reason you never took to it? something that may explain the coordination issues? Regardless I would definitely recommend trying again though to be fair it is not as crucial as when you have a full time job and public transport is not a valid excuse for being late.

I'm terrible at sports. Or anything which requires hand eye coordination. Even when I had piano lessons when you get, I could never get my fingers to work properly on the keys.

Original post by ICEN_Prophet
Definitely in 10years from now there will be lots of self-driven cars. After that we can just wait for some drunk idiot to crush into a group of people and make driving cars in cities illegal. You heard it first from me!

Haha well let's hope I won't be that drunk idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest