The Student Room Group

Never learning to drive

I'm 18. When I turned 17, I was really excited about learning to drive. I passed my theory, took loads of lessons.

But... Well. I never progressed much past the standard I was at during lesson one. Seriously, I took as many hours of lessons as my friends did in total before passing their test except I never got out of gear 2, had to stay on side streets and steering remains a mystery to me.

So, I gave up. I don't really want to learn anymore.

Is this bad?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Platopus
I'm 18. When I turned 17, I was really excited about learning to drive. I passed my theory, took loads of lessons.

But... Well. I never progressed much past the standard I was at during lesson one. Seriously, I took as many hours of lessons as my friends did in total before passing their test except I never got out of gear 2, had to stay on side streets and steering remains a mystery to me.

So, I gave up. I don't really want to learn anymore.

Is this bad?

Yes persist, or you'll only be able to go for a walk down to your local area, unless u use public transport, in any case driving is a useful skill to have.
Depends where you live, what sort of public transport is available and how you feel about it.
Reply 3
Original post by dskinner
Yes persist, or you'll only be able to go for a walk down to your local area, unless u use public transport, in any case driving is a useful skill to have.

Really? I honestly think I am the only person in the world who lacks the ability. I'm 100% serious here. I am completely resistant to developing the skill set as hard as I try!
I'm only 16 so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but maybe try learning to drive an automatic instead? Then you don't have to worry about gears etc and may be able to focus a lot more on your steering :h:
Reply 5
Original post by beautifulbigmacs
Depends where you live, what sort of public transport is available and how you feel about it.

Public transport is very available to take me wherever I want to go and I use it every day.
Reply 6
Original post by surina16
I'm only 16 so I'm not speaking from personal experience, but maybe try learning to drive an automatic instead? Then you don't have to worry about gears etc and may be able to focus a lot more on your steering :h:

Thanks. I have actually tried that but my hand eye coordination still can't deal with it!
I felt the same, hated it, thought I would never get it, test ready after about a year. I'm actually pretty good now and kept to a manual. I found it helpful to review what I'd done between each lesson throughout the week rather than setting it aside until the next lesson came up.

Really? I honestly think I am the only person in the world who lacks the ability. I'm 100% serious here. I am completely resistant to developing the skill set as hard as I try!

Pretty much how I felt, usually I'm good at things, even sport so I was really down at how impossible I found it. To me it seems like you're confined and reliant on other people if you don't get your license.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's fine if you live in Manhattan, London or anywhere else served by a decent public transport network.
Reply 9
Original post by Duncan2012
It's fine if you live in Manhattan, London or anywhere else served by a decent public transport network.

Yeah, I live in London
Reply 10
Original post by Magic Member
I felt the same, hated it, thought I would never get it, test ready after about a year. I'm actually pretty good now and kept to a manual. I found it helpful to review what I'd done between each lesson throughout the week rather than setting it aside until the next lesson came up.

But do you think you could live without driving?
why people dont pass their driving license at first :afraid: is it toooo hhhaaarrrddd to pass :erm:
which bit is the hardest. I am only scared for theory test :redface:
It's totally up to you.
I'd say persist like the other poster up there as it's a useful skill to have but at the end of the day, it depends on whether you'll end up driving to work or whatever in the future.
I know plenty of people who have never taken driving lessons and they get by just fine with public transport.
But do you think you could live without driving?

Yes but your quality of life will be reduced.
Original post by fatima1998
why people dont pass their driving license at first :afraid: is it toooo hhhaaarrrddd to pass :erm:
which bit is the hardest. I am only scared for theory test :redface:

Theory is a doddle, don't worry!
Just do a ton of mock tests and like...90% of your test will be the exact same as your mocks.
Sounds like you've had an incredibly bad driving instructor who has been taking advantage of you.
Original post by Mochassassin
Theory is a doddle, don't worry!
Just do a ton of mock tests and like...90% of your test will be the exact same as your mocks.

any specific website or app :erm:
my dad keeps saying, you aren't gonna pass the test in one go because he did it 3 times and then passed his test :afraid: even though he is smart :unsure:
I would persevere - driving does give you a lot more freedom. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.
Yeah, I live in London

Ever shopped at IKEA? Done a big food shop? Taken a cat to the vet? While not impossible without a car, some things are so much easier if you can drive.

but seriously i suck so much at left reverse maneuver lol I still can't do it to this day xD

Quick Reply

Latest