Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Do I apply on student finance as home or international?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    I'm a UK national and studied in England up until sixth form when I moved abroad (outside of the EU) and I have lived here for 3 years doing sixth form. I applied to university as home status and got home status without any questions but I'm now trying to apply for student finance. One of the questions is "In the 3 years before the first year of your course, did you live outside the UK at any time?" and I am wondering if I should select yes or no. Will my uni be able to see this and withdraw their home status offer? And will my chance of getting a student loan decrease if I am to admit that I have lived outside of the EU for 3 years? Just wondering what the implications are as I need a student finance but can't afford for international fees.

    As far as I know, you can't apply to student finance at all. To get a student loan you need to have been resident in the UK/EEA for the three years prior to their course starting, so you will have to pay international fees.

    See here for detailed information: http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ees-the-basics
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.