The Student Room Group

Opinions on Edexcel Geography at A-Level?

This September, I'm going to begin my A-Level studies and was wondering whether I should go through with my choice of taking Geography at A-Level.

I couldn't take the subject at GCSE although I planned to.

Do you like the content? Is it easy or hard to understand and how so? Any pros and cons?

Also, what could I do in the future with a Geography A-Level?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by jandelrosario
This September, I'm going to begin my A-Level studies and was wondering whether I should go through with my choice of taking Geography at A-Level.

I couldn't take the subject at GCSE although I planned to.

Do you like the content? Is it easy or hard to understand and how so? Any pros and cons?

Also, what could I do in the future with a Geography A-Level?

Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I've just completed A-level Geography. It's a very synoptic subject; it's almost like all of the leftovers from every other subject. You'll study a bit of economics, some politics, some history, some geology, maybe even some physics (albeit in no depth at all).

From what I remember, unit 1 consists of mostly short, 1-5 mark answers. I thought unit 2 was terrible (probably partly because of my teacher). Unit 3 is probably the most interesting; I didn't really like AS level geography but I'm glad I kept going to A2. The exams get harder but everyone has to make the same jump.

Either the course structure or the way my school decided to teach the course is terrible; half a year was wasted learning topics that weren't in the exam (you're basically told the question for unit 4 in March). I was taught 5 topics for unit 3, when I only had to learn 2.

The content is very broad, so you'll definitely find something that interests you. The concepts are of a similar level to GCSE; it's very much quantity over quality.

Unless you find another subject that sounds much better, definitely stick with geography. You might hate some of it, but it will be worth it.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ombtom
I've just completed A-level Geography. It's a very synoptic unit; it's almost like all of the leftovers from every other subject. You'll study a bit of economics, some politics, some history, some geology, maybe even some physics (albeit in no depth at all).

From what I remember, unit 1 consists of mostly short, 1-5 mark answers. I thought unit 2 was terrible (probably partly because of my teacher). Unit 3 is probably the most interesting; I didn't really like AS level geography but I'm glad I kept it. The exams get harder but everyone has to make the same jump.

Either the course structure or the way my school decided to teach the course is terrible; half a year was wasted learning topics that weren't in the exam (you're basically told the question for unit 4 in March). I was taught 5 topics for unit 3, when I only had to learn 2.

The content is very broad, so you'll definitely find something that interests you. The concepts are of a similar level to GCSE; it's very much quantity over quality.

Unless you find another subject that sounds much better, definitely stick with geography. You might hate some of it, but it will be worth it.

Thank you so much, exactly the detailed answer I needed.

Quick Reply

Latest