The Student Room Group

C3 Help

part iii)

Normally, we sub in x coordinate in f''(x) and if it >0 then it is minimum point and if it is <0 then it is maximum points.

If it is 0 then it could mean inflection. They are equation f''(x) = 0 to work out x and that gives you x coordinate of maximum point of f'(x). I don't understand it, that would get them the point where the inflection is if any, or it could be min, max??
Original post by Bealzibub

part iii)

Normally, we sub in x coordinate in f''(x) and if it >0 then it is minimum point and if it is <0 then it is maximum points.

If it is 0 then it could mean inflection. They are equation f''(x) = 0 to work out x and that gives you x coordinate of maximum point of f'(x). I don't understand it, that would get them the point where the inflection is if any, or it could be min, max??

You would set f''(x)<0

Posted from TSR Mobile

part iii)

No idea what you are asking.

To do part iii, set f''(x)=0 to find a maximum for the function f'(x).
Original post by AlmostNotable
No idea what you are asking.

To do part iii, set f''(x)=0 to find a maximum for the function f'(x).

What I'm confused about is, usually we find stationary points with f'(x) = 0

then that x value into f''(x) and if it is < 0 then it is maximum.

But you are saying f''(x) = 0? How can setting to 0 be maximum and < 0 is also maximum?

part iii)

what paper is this?
What I'm confused about is, usually we find stationary points with f'(x) = 0

then that x value into f''(x) and if it is < 0 then it is maximum.

But you are saying f''(x) = 0? How can setting to 0 be maximum and < 0 is also maximum?

We know that f ' (x) = 0 finds the stationary points for the function f (x).
Therefore f '' (x) = 0 finds the stationary points for the function f ' (x).
Reply 6
What is the paper so I can find this question?

Quick Reply

Latest