Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Office politics, where does it end?

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

So I started a new job a few months ago, and I've worked in an office before but only a year out of University, I'm still learning.

Another graduate of the same year at my office seems to like to make you feel bad for not jumping on the politics band wagon, how do I confront these?

First of all, I like to go out for my lunch. I like to walk, I like to smoke, I like to go to the shop. I like to eat. The other graduate told me they would feel guilty if they went out for lunch like I did because others work through it. But where did this culture of having a break but deciding not to take it become the norm? Is it even the norm? Do we really have to not take our contractual work break because others tell us it is wrong??!

Secondly, the office is closed later this month. Some people owe days and are contracted to come in. My days owed are booked up for later this year. I don't owe any days. However the same graduate said again, I should come in, because even though I don't have to work I should help out - because its part the job!

Somebody please tell me I'm not losing my mind here.

From an apparentley 'bad employee' x

First of all, is that other employee a senior?
    Are their seniors to him/her?

If there are seniors to him please, go and meet them.
    Explain your situation that you find it difficult to handle this employee and feel really annoyed.
    Remember it is your life and free style wherever you go. Do not listen to any employee who talks anything out of office work.
    You can smoke if there is a smoking room or you can do it outside at your ease when no one else is there so it won't affect others.
    I say confronting won't work and other colleagues will begin to dislike you. The best alternative from my work experience is that to pour all your feelings to a reliable senior of this "bad" employee who can control them.

For goodness sake, if you are hungry you have to go and grab food. That's totally your liberty. Without eating where on the earth will you get the energy to work? Do not listen to such indecent employees. Instead try to speak to your manager or a senior regarding asking for an appointment. Please make sure you tell the management that you were not able to confront the colleague because you did not want yourself to get into trouble and you want to maintain healthy relationships at the office. Say smoking and eating are your own habits that cannot be changed.

I advice you to go to a very good, reliable, trustworthy or maybe a good close friendly type of manager who will understand your feelings and keep the talk one to one with you. So, that he/she can talk to the employee and say that they have no rights to interfere with another person's habits. You already know the good and bad of smoking and eating. We are adults. So, next time the employee speaks do not utter a word. Get up and go speak to the manager. Why I say this is because if you tell the colleague, "I will complain to the management." they will think you do not have the guts and discourage or even blackmail you. So, just get up once the bad employee begins his politics and go straight to the management without looking into this disgusting employee's face. If possible, record this person when he is talking politics without his knowledge as an evidence.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.