The Student Room Group

Preparing for a phd application early

Hi guys

I have just finished first year and I am hoping to do a phd in either maths or theoretical physics after my theoretical physics degree (I do roughly 50% physics and 50% maths covering topics in pure and applied maths). From what I have covered so far in both uni and my own time my interests are starting to develop towards geometry and a few areas of theoretical physics (but i have definitely not covered too much of most areas yet so my interests may change, I am keeping an open mind).

I was wondering what I can do over the next few years to help make my application as competitive as possible?

Few things on my list so far
- get around 80% in my degree (going off my first year but of course the next few years will be harder though more exciting too :biggrin:)
- try secure 2 summer placements (these will either hopefully be in theoretical/computational physics (either condensed matter or biophysics as this is what my department offers research in), geometry, topology, fluid dynamics or software development in industry)

Is there any other things I should be aiming to do to make my application as competitive as possible?

Note - I will most likely try change university dependent on where my interests develop further, I will need funding and I most likely wont be able to do a post grad masters course like part III etc due to money and I am not really willing to take on the post grad loan.

Thanks for any tips! :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
What uni are you at now?
Original post by stevey396
What uni are you at now?

university of leeds
Basically you should be looking at getting the best possible grades and relevant research experience. Make sure you also have good refs.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending