The Student Room Group

Does Toothpaste actually help with acne?

Is this true? Is it effective?
Also, I heard using toothpaste for acne might cause scars , true?
depends on the severity of your acne. I don't personally like to use it because it is very strong smelling, you have to leave it on overnight, and it often doesn't work for me. It usually just dries your spots out. I've never had severe acne so I don't know what its like for that, but green tea calms the redness down. Also, sudocream or any other kind of nappy rash cream is quite good for acne as well. leave it on overnight and wash it away in the morning :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by atunnicliffe
depends on the severity of your acne. I don't personally like to use it because it is very strong smelling, you have to leave it on overnight, and it often doesn't work for me. It usually just dries your spots out. I've never had severe acne so I don't know what its like for that, but green tea calms the redness down. Also, sudocream or any other kind of nappy rash cream is quite good for acne as well. leave it on overnight and wash it away in the morning :smile:

Thanks for the reply, I actually don't have severe acne. It's just this one zit that I want removed asap. I don't feel like experimenting with toothpaste. Need more testimonies for its effectiveness. :unimpressed:
Original post by UndyingWill

Don't use toothpaste, it's meant for teeth, not skin. The clue's in the name. Try tea tree oil and witch hazel solution to help with the redness. Benzyl peroxide actually kills the spot though
Reply 4
I tried it for whiteheads but it wasn't that great. Drinking lots of water was more beneficial for me. I have no idea on acne though.
Reply 5
Ah, thanks. Actually quite demotivated to experiment with it now. Yeah I guess something like or similar Benzyl Peroxide would do the trick.

Original post by Manexopi
I tried it for whiteheads but it wasn't that great. Drinking lots of water was more beneficial for me. I have no idea on acne though.

Drinking lots of water is the best! Very effective I must say against acne.
(edited 7 years ago)
No it doesn't. Try exfoliating and a good toner.
Tea tree oil is a good one for acne, plus lots of water as others have mentioned. Lemon juice helps get rid of the scarring.
You might also want to try applying Listerine or any other alcohol-containing mouthwash because the alcohol dries the spots out while killing bacteria :smile:
Original post by UndyingWill

It's a very old method of doing it. However it has been suggested not to do it, and I've suffered the consequences myself. I put on some toothpaste overnight but when I tried to take it off in the morning it ripped my spot out and has now left a deep scar. I'd suggest that if you want something to dry your spots out so they disappear sooner, gets some witch hazel (available in pharmacies and stores like superdrug) or even apparently Listerine (with alcohol) helps because it causes the spots to dry out!
I've tried it and it personally just burned me and left my face red! (But I have quite sensitive skin). I've been trying a tea tree spot stick recently though and my spots have gone down quite significantly.
Toothpaste will irritate the skin, and the pimple will probably eventually disappear along with the irritation, but toothpaste is in no way a primary treatment for acne. Over-the-counter benzoyl peroxide and salicylic acid work great to clear acne -- and help prevent it, as well.
Hi

There are certain ingredients in toothpaste which cause spots to dry out:

baking soda (removes toxins and balances skins pH),

hydrogen peroxide (an antibacterial ingredient which can tackle the bacteria responsible for causing acne)

alcohol

menthol

essential oils

triclosan (an antibacterial ingredient which can tackle the bacteria responsible for causing acne)

But they can cause irritation, peeling and burning.

Toothpastes that contain bleach for whitening may irritate skin. People with darker skin should take care as bleach reacts highly with the melanin.

Please note that:

Toothpaste is not a dermatological treatment for acne.

Toothpaste shouldn't be used on sensitive, dry, or inflamed skin.

Leaving toothpaste on a spot for too long can make skin more dry and stimulates the production of excess sebum (oil). (Spots are formed when oil glands become blocked or infected - therefore the whole process becomes pointless!)

Some toothpastes have menthol and fluoride which can irritate the skin and cause itching and inflammation.

Not all toothpastes contain anti-bacterial ingredients like triclosan or hydrogen peroxide.

Products containing either benzoyl peroxide or salicylic acid would be a better option.

Hope this helps :h:

Liz
There is a misconception that toothpaste can cure acne. Toothpaste contains triclosan which not only makes the skin dry but can leave a scarbehind. They can even cause redness and burns on the delicate skin.Methanol present in the toothpaste causes irritation andinflammation. Consult a good dermatologist and take appropriatetreatment.
Not sure if this could help you at all but here's a blog post on how I got rid of my acne for good :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest