The Student Room Group

First Year Law Exam Results - OK but not outstanding

Hi guys

I'm wondering about applying to vacation schemes and if anyone has any experience of this.

I study at UCL and my first year law exams average was a 2:1, though my breakdown of results was

Land Law - 65
Criminal Law - 63
Public Law - 58
Contract - 57

I'm surprised by Contract but not much to do about it now.

What level of firms should I be looking into with this?
that's not bad at all and I'm sure firms will understand that UCL run a rigorous law course and so your grades will be looked at bearing that in mind. obviously it would have been better if you had no 2:2's but its not like you were very far off a 2:1 in either module and I think your decent land law grade will look good, as its a technical area of the law and this may apply especially if you are applying to a firm with a renowned real estate practice, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner.
Reply 2
Original post by neal95
that's not bad at all and I'm sure firms will understand that UCL run a rigorous law course and so your grades will be looked at bearing that in mind. obviously it would have been better if you had no 2:2's but its not like you were very far off a 2:1 in either module and I think your decent land law grade will look good, as its a technical area of the law and this may apply especially if you are applying to a firm with a renowned real estate practice, such as Berwin Leighton Paisner.

I don't think the latter part is generally correct. It'll be slightly advantageous IF s/he is looking into working in that specific area of law. If he's going for anything else, the firm is unlikely to see it as a plus, even if it's strong in that area.

Whatever you do, however, do not apply to Sherman and Sterling/Slaughter and May. Anything else will be tough (it's tough for everyone though) but you should give it your best.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest