The Student Room Group

Article: Dr Georgiou's maths challenge: can you solve these Eulerian graphs?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RK
Ah I remember this from my first further maths applied module back in 1999 (before D1 was even a thing).

Sadly, never did anything more with this sort of thing at university, but I did enjoy my little project on knot theory and group theory.

I'm now interested in how Euler proved his theorem...maybe proof by contradiction?

I think the method of proof is called "direct". When we did this last year at uni, we wrote down some statements that proved it.

Very good article, well done to the author.
Original post by rayquaza17
I think the method of proof is called "direct". When we did this last year at uni, we wrote down some statements that proved it.

Very good article, well done to the author.

Thanks. I've not yet had the time to think about this since the other day. May look in to is some more, based on the approach you said you used :smile:
Gosh it feels like an age since D1 passed.
Ah basic D1 route inspection. Pretty simple stuff... On simple graphs... But on graph 2 and 3: the graph needs to be bigger, because the lines are too faint, and there are too many intersections.
The solutions and some explanation can now be found at the end of the article :yay:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest