Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

If you vote Remain...

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

(Original post by ByEeek)
    Ok - so go back 30 years or so to the time when the UK had a bilateral agreement with each and every country in Europe that allowed only four airlines (two from each country) to fly between them. Europe was instrumental in deregulating the airlines and as a result, the air industry has boomed. Prices are down, flights up and thanks once again to the EU, there is only one set of rules that govern not only trans European flights, but also any flight to and from the EU to the rest of the world. Brilliant for companies (cuts red tape rather than one set of rules for each country) and superb for us, the flying public, not to mention the thousands who now work in the airline industry.

The same goes for mobile phones and they way they are now priced and countless other industries. Tomorrow I could set up a company and start trading with Spain with no tariffs or "red tape". I would simply pay VAT to the UK government and get on with it. I could fill in one form and get trademark protection across the whole EU.

Why would we want to be rid of that? And for what? What do we gain? Control? Control over what? It seems to me that much of the out argument is about having control, but not necessarily using it. How pointless is that?
    But if we left we would be free to set up these with the rest of the world. The EU served its purpose and ceased to be in our interests when it became a political entity instead of purely trade. Leaving isnt going to stop our trade with the EU, do you really think the EU can afford cut the billions we import in from it every year? Leaving will allow us too set up even better trade agreements with every country worldwide, not just a failing stagnant trade block

(Original post by DontVoteLabour)
    Why is the pound at an all time low?

It is not

Why is growth between 0.4% and -0.3%?

It is not, nearer 2%

Why does the gap between rich and poor grow ever bigger?

Because the rich are richer, but so are the poor, it is a relative not an absolute measure.

Why is national debt at a ridiculous all time high?

Because we spent too much

Why is it almost impossible for anyone under 30 to buy a house?

It is not, I suspect my son could afford to buy a one bed flat in Edinburgh by late 2017 if he continues saving and wants to buy one.

Why ar 15.3% of people classed as living in poverty when in 1973 only 2.9% were?

Because the measure of poverty is a relative measure, they are still better of than most in the 1970s, I know, I was there.

And yet you think our economy is better now?
    If measured by consumption of what by the 1970s would have been seen as pretty luxury goods yes, colour TV, access to telephones etc, yes. Quality of life, difficult to tell. Happier, possibly. More freedom to travel, yes.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.