The Student Room Group

Extra marks on GCSE

My grandad passed away on Thursday and I had an history exam with edexcel on Tuesday (today). Can I get special consideration?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Mk2258
My grandad passed away on Thursday and I had an history exam with edexcel on Tuesday (today). Can I get extra marks?

you'd have to speak to your exams officer asap but tbh i doubt you'd get extra marks just like seeing as you suffered your lost 4 days before...
Original post by Mk2258
My grandad passed away on Thursday and I had an history exam with edexcel on Tuesday (today). Can I get extra marks?

Probably not...
There are a few student who have been in worse situations and examboards wouldn't guve any marks.

There's no such thing as "extra marks" bc it would be unfair to other students.

Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah..I think you can (maybe). Edexcel allows it I think, from what I read. Ask your exams officer.
If you feel it has affected your performance (at a significant level), speak to your exams officer and explain the situation. Exam boards are getting tight though, not sure if they'd give it, lots of people try fishing for easy marks (although yours is a legit reason).
Original post by amanii_ox
Probably not...
There are a few student who have been in worse situations and examboards wouldn't guve any marks.

There's no such thing as "extra marks" bc it would be unfair to other students.

Sorry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hahhaha 92% who apply get it/
Original post by govandpolitics
hahhaha 92% who apply get it/

Even if people do get it, it's not many marks anyway, about 2 or 3. I think bereavement of a family member is about 5% marks, or less. Depends when it happened.
Original post by sulaimanali
Even if people do get it, it's not many marks anyway, about 2 or 3. I think bereavement of a family member is about 5% marks, or less. Depends when it happened.

http://ccea.org.uk/sites/default/files/docs/accreditation/regulatory_reports/Special_Consideration_GCSE_and_A_Level_Summer_2014.pdf

450,000 got it in 2014.
Reply 8
Original post by sulaimanali

If I'm completely honest there shouldn't even be special consideration. No one should get 'extra marks' for something as it all has implications on people who have gone through it normally.

Instead, more emphasis should be put on extenuating circumstances for UCAS. 3 or 4 marks is meaningless for the person and is unlikely IMO to change a grade substantially.

You didn't read the whole of that first page, but just quoted to back up your statement.

"Just under 3 per cent of all scripts received approval for special consideration in the summer 2014 exam series."

"For the third year running, the most common mark adjustment made was 3 per cent of the maximum mark of a question paper"
That many people got it 2 YEARS AGO. And, that was because the amount of scripts marked increased and amount of people applying it increased.

Nowadays loads of people apply for special consideration for meaningless reasons.
Original post by jamestg
If I'm completely honest there shouldn't even be special consideration. No one should get 'extra marks' for something as it all has implications on people who have gone through it normally.

Instead, more emphasis should be put on extenuating circumstances for UCAS. 3 or 4 marks is meaningless for the person and is unlikely IMO to change a grade substantially.

I agree somewhat (with the UCAS part and implication on others).

I think there should be special consideration but for limited reasons and that should be investigated thoroughly if people apply for it, and anyway, too many cases are sent for special consideration. Furthermore, it can never be decided how much exactly is fair to be given for each reason. The 3 or 4 marks can change the grade substantially actually (if closer to the next grade), it can be the difference between that one A and A* you want/need.
Original post by Mk2258
My grandad passed away on Thursday and I had an history exam with edexcel on Tuesday (today). Can I get special consideration?

yes. would be able to access a 2% or 3% upgrade.
Speak to your exam officer, and read the link.
http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/regulations-and-guidance/a-guide-to-the-special-consideration-process-2015-2016
Maybe try at it. Don't know what the exam board will do - maybe see if it affected your performance?
They'll be careful, like I said before, lots of people apply to fish for easy marks. This could also be an (external) excuse to get easy marks to make up for silly mistakes or actual low performance on the paper.

Quick Reply

Latest