The Student Room Group

Applying with retakes

Say a Uni has an A*AA requirement. But i didn't get an A*. Could I apply to them and say that I will be retaking to get A* in my gap year? Or is it not allowed.
Original post by Nirm
Say a Uni has an A*AA requirement. But i didn't get an A*. Could I apply to them and say that I will be retaking to get A* in my gap year? Or is it not allowed.

Yes you can do that. Check with the uni concerned that they don't insist on A-levels all being taken at one sitting.
Yes you can do that, I have multiple friends who have offers after resitting needing a single grade
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
Yes you can do that. Check with the uni concerned that they don't insist on A-levels all being taken at one sitting.

Thank you! I had a major panic attack/mental break down in my C3 exam (currently in my last year of college) and I basically did a lot of silly mistakes which pretty much means I won't get an A* unless the examiner hears my prayers and gives me loads of method marks. Hm, I will send them e-mails, although I have a feeling most of them prefer first-sitting (UCL :frown:).
Reply 4
Original post by Nirm
Thank you! I had a major panic attack/mental break down in my C3 exam (currently in my last year of college) and I basically did a lot of silly mistakes which pretty much means I won't get an A* unless the examiner hears my prayers and gives me loads of method marks. Hm, I will send them e-mails, although I have a feeling most of them prefer first-sitting (UCL :frown:).

Same thing happened to me. Are you doing Aqa?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Nirm

Are you holding an offer for straight econ at UCL?
Reply 6
Original post by sonron202

Nope, its just that that is where I really want to go for Uni but now as I messed up C3, I doubt they will let me in with a retake in my gap year.
Original post by Nirm
Nope, its just that that is where I really want to go for Uni but now as I messed up C3, I doubt they will let me in with a retake in my gap year.

It depends what course, my friend is taking a gap year and resitting his A2 exams, and he got an offer to study at UCL this year.
Reply 8
Original post by sherfyq
Same thing happened to me. Are you doing Aqa?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel. I hate them them, they have made every single maths exam harder than last years/just harder in general, there wasn't a single module with a stanard/easy exam paper. So now I have just lost a lot of motivation for C4 as I know it will be harder than usual and on top of that me screwing up C3 (I knew all methods apart from 1 question and still made sign and random silly errors like multiplying out by -1/2 instead of -1 even tho I had already simplified the equation for get rid of the half so that's like 3 marks gone for no reason for me) so I am just in a negative mood right now.
Reply 9
It depends what course, my friend is taking a gap year and resitting his A2 exams, and he got an offer to study at UCL this year.

What subject/course? I only really want to do Economics but I think it's probably one of its most competitive courses so I doubt I stand much of a chance for an offer let alone them letting me apply without an A* in maths (they want it in maths others can be As) (for me to retake and get an A* hopefully in my gap year).
He has an offer to study history, however I do know another person in the same situation who applied for economics and business with eastern european studies, you do similar econ modules but its run by a different department (its a lot less maths based and you need aaa). They accepted one of my friends who resat his A2 exams, although he had extenuating circumstances.
Original post by Nirm

UCL generally does allow resitting so don't worry however if the course is reallt competitive than you have a lower chance of achieving an offer.
This same friend also got offers to study economics at Bristol and Bath, then accounting and finance at Warwick and Finance Accounting and Management at Nottingham, resitting isn't the end of the world. With a good PS and GCSE grades/AS grades you should be fine, although just focus on your exams for now and think about that after! Ultimately gap years aren't the worst though providing you do something worthwhile, and leave time for revision over the last few months.
Reply 13
He has an offer to study history, however I do know another person in the same situation who applied for economics and business with eastern european studies, you do similar econ modules but its run by a different department (its a lot less maths based and you need aaa). They accepted one of my friends who resat his A2 exams, although he had extenuating circumstances.

This same friend also got offers to study economics at Bristol and Bath, then accounting and finance at Warwick and Finance Accounting and Management at Nottingham, resitting isn't the end of the world. With a good PS and GCSE grades/AS grades you should be fine, although just focus on your exams for now and think about that after! Ultimately gap years aren't the worst though providing you do something worthwhile, and leave time for revision over the last few months.

Thats pretty good, really good offers. I think I will look into it later when my exams are over. Funny how one exam has pretty much ruined my plan and like a domino effect, will most likely end up affecting the rest of my exams. I tunnel vision too much in exams and try to do them quickly so I end up making mistakes but think I am right. :frown::s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Nirm

Original post by Nirm

Original post by Raizelcadres
UCL generally does allow resitting so don't worry however if the course is reallt competitive than you have a lower chance of achieving an offer.

UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/prospective/admissions-faqs
"Q: Will resitting A Level modules affect my chances of success?
A: Since the Economics Department stipulates that the specified A Level grades should be obtained in the first sitting, applicants who achieve these grades without taking a resit are more likely to be successful."

BUT if you have extenuating circumstances (e.g. a doctor's letter regarding the problems you had with C3) I would think they will be fine with it.
Reply 15
Original post by jneill
UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/economics/undergraduate/prospective/admissions-faqs
"Q: Will resitting A Level modules affect my chances of success?
A: Since the Economics Department stipulates that the specified A Level grades should be obtained in the first sitting, applicants who achieve these grades without taking a resit are more likely to be successful."

BUT if you have extenuating circumstances (e.g. a doctor's letter regarding the problems you had with C3) I would think they will be fine with it.

Oh so you can see GP and stuff? I think I might do that as I genuinely may have a problem. (Pretty much flopped all my important exams in AS as well and now same is happening but I just can't help it).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending