The Student Room Group

moocs good for personal statement?

A MOOC is an open online course, I was wondering if completing one would be something worth writing in your personal statement as evidence for outside interest in your subject.

Would Russell group Uni's in particular find it acceptable/impressive?

Some of the courses do sound quite interesting and also teachers at my school tell us that we should be doing 'wider reading' but reading academic books in my free time is kind of boring for me- I feel like having some sort of structure would be better and more fun.

Any input is much appreciated :smile:

(p.s. I intend to apply to Medicine and am currently in year 12)
Original post by d.ecay
A MOOC is an open online course, I was wondering if completing one would be something worth writing in your personal statement as evidence for outside interest in your subject.

Would Russell group Uni's in particular find it acceptable/impressive?

Some of the courses do sound quite interesting and also teachers at my school tell us that we should be doing 'wider reading' but reading academic books in my free time is kind of boring for me- I feel like having some sort of structure would be better and more fun.

Any input is much appreciated :smile:

(p.s. I intend to apply to Medicine and am currently in year 12)

When you start to write your personal statement you'll find the character limit is so much shorter than you imagine. There are far more valuable things to include in your personal statement.

If you think it would be interesting and want to do one for yourself, fine. But I wouldn't do one just for medicine.

Latest