The Student Room Group

Learning to drive and buying a car for a under £3,000. Possible?

Say perhaps a maximum of £1000 on the learning and a few grandudno on the car/insurance?

The car doesn't have to be anything special; I wouldn't be using it for long distances, etc.

Is this at all possible?!
£1000 for the lessons is achieveable!

Insurance is gonna be around the £2000 mark, unless you get a black box in which case youll save a few hundred pounds.

So youre gonna end up with £0-500 to spend on the car.
Realistically youre gonna need at least £1000 for the car itself. Then theres the tax, petrol, mot, and any parts that may need replacing!

Youre gonna need more than £3000 in total im afraid
Depends what car, and the condition of it tbh, but good luck with them goals! :smile:
The cheaper the car the more expensive the running costs and maintenance will be.
Reply 4
Original post by Lozzie97
The cheaper the car the more expensive the running costs and maintenance will be.

That's not necessarily true, eg if you buy an old Audi and you need a new part that new part may cost you more than if you were replacing the same part on a newer ford fiesta for example
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mp73
That's not necessarily true, eg if you buy an old Audi and you need a new part that new part may cost you more than if you were replacing the same part on a newer ford fiesta for example

True. But from what I have witnessed at college the older cars tend to be much more unreliable and more prone to breaking down and needing repairs in the first place. I just think this is something to consider when choosing a car. You shouldn't just go for the cheapest one you can find. Sorry if my first comment was misleading. :P
£1000 for lessons is too much.

I learnt with the AA whilst driving, and they were £26 per hour, I had about 22 lessons.

But let's say you're lessons were £26 (most are probably cheaper) and even if you had 30 lessons, which most people don't need, then that's only £780. But add test fees and money to hire your instructor's car for the test. That's no more than £900. So a grand for that is defo okay. Possibly even lesson than £900 if your lessons are cheaper

My insurance was only £750, and I had a lot of money to play ball with for the car itself. I know quite a fair bit about cars and you can get quite reliable runarounds for £700, and even if your insurance was as high as £1,500. It's achievable, but a tight fit. :biggrin:
Id learn to drive first, as you really don't know how long this will take you.

Once you've passed you'll have more idea of what the remaining car budget is... Even if you can't afford a car straight away then you still have your driving license which can't hurt.

Hopefully you'll have enough to buy and insure a cheap car, but you might have to do a bit more saving...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lozzie97
True. But from what I have witnessed at college the older cars tend to be much more unreliable and more prone to breaking down and needing repairs in the first place. I just think this is something to consider when choosing a car. You shouldn't just go for the cheapest one you can find. Sorry if my first comment was misleading. :P

Not unless you buy German or Jap! If you buy French well...
:eek: £3000 for my parents its bloody expensive :rofl:
crash course
Original post by Wiggly
Say perhaps a maximum of £1000 on the learning and a few grandudno on the car/insurance?

The car doesn't have to be anything special; I wouldn't be using it for long distances, etc.

Is this at all possible?!

learning easy
the car will be a 10-15-year-old rust box hatchback with a black box
tax shouldn't be too much (about £100)
fuel will be costly but is a usage factor it will cost more with more use
mot the actual test isn't bad on the wallet
replacement parts it is the killer anything need major goes and the car is sent to the shredder as it is unaffordable to repair
insurance will be a £1500-2000 a year easily

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending