Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Muslim disowned by parents?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I face the real prospect of being disowned by my parents, which would lead to no communication and no chance of having my student finance forms completed. Is there a way around this without going for the basic student finance amount, which wouldn't be sustainable? Could a legal guardianship with a friends relative be pursued or is there any consideration taken for these 'exceptional' circumstances? I really can't find a way around it. I feel like providing evidence for it would also be difficult as I would be entirely cut off from all family and community members.

    Thanks in advance.

    Hi CalT8

    If you become estranged from parents, you can apply as an independent student.

    Examples of Evidence
    • A letter from your social worker
    • A letter from an advice worker, personal tutor or teacher
    • If you have visited your doctor because of problems relating to your broken relationship with your parents, a letter to confirm your circumstances
    • A letter from a counsellor, an organisation, employer or a charity
    • A letter from a member of the clergy, a rabbi or imam that explains that he/she was aware of the difficulties in the student’s family and their subsequent estrangement
    • A statement of incident from the police
    • A statutory declaration signed/stamped by solicitor
    • A letter from a solicitor
    • A signed and dated Estrangement declaration form* completed by any Independent person with good standing in the community.
    If you need advice you can call us: 0300 100 0607

Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
Would you rather be able to
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.