Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Is it possible to take A-level Italian as a beginner?

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad? Are they even worth it? Have your say! 26-10-2016

I'm at the end of year 10, and would really like to take an italian a-level at college after i finish secondary school. However despite being quite competent in GCSE French (currently getting A*'s in speaking and writing assesments),i don't have a GCSE in italian and have never studied it as a topic. Although, I'm really keen, and have been attempting some private study of the language. The college does an afterschool course in Italian 'Level 1' (not a-level/GCSE, but would give me good prep and basic knowledge of the language) for £220 (25 weeks) however this is quite expensive. Is there anyway I could still enroll in an italian a-level, or atleast any advice on learning the language myself? The entry requirements are as follows:

"Five GCSEs at grade C or above in appropriate subjects.

Successful A Level students would normally have achieved a grade A or B in a number of relevant GCSE subjects, including Italian."

I know someone who did an AS in Italian as a beginner, but the full A level I think would be too difficult. But if you got yourself to GCSE standard over the next year (which is entirely possible), then yes I think you could do it. Look online for Italian learning resources.

You might also be interested in this course. It's an Italian university courses, I believe you can do it entirely online and it is free. You might have missed the application deadline for this year (ask to see if you can make a late application), otherwise you can do it next year. http://www.du.se/en/Study-at-DU/Cour...us/?kod=IT1020
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team
Cats: Yay or nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.