Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Question about insurance accident claim

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Got a weird one here.

Had a prang (which was my fault) some time ago now (more than six months) and a couple of months after the prang, my insurance company contacted me and told me they would pay out x amount of money to the claimant. Fair do's.

Now I am re-applying for car insurance and my new company have flagged up a payment that was made concerning this incident that apparently I don't know about, and it was made in the same month as the incident, almost immediately afterwards.

Aside from not knowing what this payment was, I understood that payments will always take a few months to happen. So you have two things here - I never knew about this payment, and it happened very very quickly after the incident. That strikes me as very strange.

Under what circumstances could this have happened? Ok, I'm going to phone my old company tomorrow and try and get to the bottom of this, but - any ideas? It may help me in what questions I ask them. Could it possibly be an administrative error, for example? Or do companies often pay out and not let you know?

This is very weird, and is currently tripling my quote. Any ideas are welcome.

Payments to third parties such tow truck company, ambulance fees are sometimes settled immediately.

Also, hire car payments are usually paid quickly. As are intern payments, should the claimant be self employed.
    I'm not having the best of luck at the minute and have 3 claims going through for different things.

Update - I have after much phoning around found out that this info is incorrect for some reason, however it is what the broker is "seeing on their system" - I have to provide proof of the actual claim and payments and dates apprently, which the other companies are being rather lax to provide. Hopefully, chipping away at this will get me there, but this is very frustrating.

Edit - also this company are refusing to phone the other insurance companies, stating that it's "against their policy".

I've never come across anything like this before re. car insurance, it's obviously some kind of administrative error.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do you wear to bed?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.