The Student Room Group

Girlfriend wearing revealing clothes

Me, my girlfriend and a few friends went out the other night. I picked my girlfriends dress, she tried them on I picked the one I liked the most. Half way through the night she changed into a more revealing dress for no reason. During the night she got complements from other boys and it really upset me that I went home (I get really anxious aswell and uncomfortable in situations easily). My GF said that it was nothing to worry about, she said sorry for changing dresses from the one I picked and we moved on.

This weekend were going out again and she wants to wear the same dress. I don't know how I feel about this.

Should I be upset that she wants to wear a dress that upset me so much when other people were looking and commenting? I'm not the person to say you can't wear this or that, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.

Any positive constructive comments welcome.
Thank you.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm op: there is a bit more to this story but it wasn't heavily relevant so didn't include it as the paragraph got really long.
Absolutely understandable that you feel this way mate.

Perhaps if you get the chance and have the confidence to do so, speak to her before the weekend and say that the particular dress makes you feel slightly uncomfortable because of the male attention she gets whilst wearing it. If you carefully word it and ensure she knows its because you care and you aren't just being jealous and controlling then she will see the nice gesture behind your concern. I had a similar issue with my girlfriend and now shes happy to discuss outfits with me to ensure I am confident with the reaction she will get.

Hopefully that advice helps!
pics
Original post by Anonymous

Should I be upset that she wants to wear a dress that upset me so much when other people were looking and commenting? I'm not the person to say you can't wear this or that, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.

Any positive constructive comments welcome.
Thank you.

In my opinion I would say no, you shouldn't be upset. You can tell her that it makes you uncomfortable and ask her if she wants to wear something else, but from what you've said it seems like her reason for wearing the dress is because she gets compliments and that will obviously make her feel good.

If you ask her to wear something else, you're essentially asking her to sacrifice feeling her best for the sake of you not wanting to be jealous, because that is the root of the problem.

She's with you already, and you should trust that she just wants to feel good about herself. If you don't trust her, that's a different problem altogether and that should be the problem you are addressing.
Original post by wickedisgood
In my opinion I would say no, you shouldn't be upset. You can tell her that it makes you uncomfortable and ask her if she wants to wear something else, but from what you've said it seems like her reason for wearing the dress is because she gets compliments and that will obviously make her feel good.

If you ask her to wear something else, you're essentially asking her to sacrifice feeling her best for the sake of you not wanting to be jealous, because that is the root of the problem.

She's with you already, and you should trust that she just wants to feel good about herself. If you don't trust her, that's a different problem altogether and that should be the problem you are addressing.

A relationship is about making each other happy, not just yourself. And if she's getting happy because she's getting attention from other guys, especially since it makes him upset, that's completely out of order.
Reply 6
Ask her why she needs to wear a dress that's revealing and other guys are complimenting her? Ask how she'd feel if you went semi naked or wear tight trousers revealing your nob. It's wrong of her showing her bits to strangers. Have words mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7

You female? If so typical response. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yh, that's mad irritating...
It all falls upon trust in the end
Its understandable that you feel this way, but at the end of the day its her body and her choice. If you don't like it, don't date her.
Speak to her about how you feel but don't expect her to change for your insecurities.
You left and went home on a night out, leaving your girlfriend in the middle of town?

Not saying she's in the right, but have you ever wondered why she craves attention from other men?
You can foil her plan by wearing the dress yourself.
Original post by SMEGGGY
Ask her why she needs to wear a dress that's revealing and other guys are complimenting her? Ask how she'd feel if you went semi naked or wear tight trousers revealing your nob. It's wrong of her showing her bits to strangers. Have words mate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Obviously because she likes the dress and thinks it looks good, nothing wrong with that.

Original post by Anonymous
Me, my girlfriend and a few friends went out the other night. I picked my girlfriends dress, she tried them on I picked the one I liked the most. Half way through the night she changed into a more revealing dress for no reason. During the night she got complements from other boys and it really upset me that I went home (I get really anxious aswell and uncomfortable in situations easily). My GF said that it was nothing to worry about, she said sorry for changing dresses from the one I picked and we moved on.This weekend were going out again and she wants to wear the same dress. I don't know how I feel about this.Should I be upset that she wants to wear a dress that upset me so much when other people were looking and commenting? I'm not the person to say you can't wear this or that, so I'm in a bit of a situation here.Any positive constructive comments welcome.Thank you.

If you feel uncomfortable about it then you need to tell her. It sounds as though she thought you were only upset because she switched dresses, not because of the subsequent compliments.

You need to talk to her and explain that it made you uncomfortable. It's a fine line because on the one hand she should be free to wear what she wants (as you said) but on the other it's clearly upsetting you and she should be considerate of that.

Also worth exploring why it made you feel uncomfortable. Is it a trust issue?
Original post by donutellme
A relationship is about making each other happy, not just yourself. And if she's getting happy because she's getting attention from other guys, especially since it makes him upset, that's completely out of order.

If a relationship is about making each other happy, why should she have to sacrifice her own happiness? What you're saying here is that her happiness is worth less than his because if he's upset she has to be the one to change her ideals, not him.

Everyone wants to feel good about themselves, it's an instinctive need. It's not out of order for her to want to dress in a way that makes her feel good, because I bet he wasn't complaining when they weren't together yet.
Original post by SMEGGGY
You female? If so typical response. :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

If my response is so typical, why do guys still not understand that girls can dress however they want and it be for themselves? All that shows is purposeful ignorance tbh.
In all honesty, just raise the concern again. I mean relationships are are compromises and I'm sure that if she sacrifices one dress for you, it should not spark a big row. But don't come across as controlling of what she wears though.
unless you're muslim then I cant see a reason for you to try control your girlfriend - you can mention you dislike it but unless you're insecure about the relationship you should be proud that other guys want her and she is YOURS. If she cheats or engages in flirtation then it is a different story, maybe she likes to feel sexy?
The **** lets their other half pick their clothes before going out? I bloody wouldn't.
So let's say you were at rave or gig, or wherever N proper hyped with ur pals and you decided to take your shirt off. Wouldn't it be wierd if your girlfriend then questioned you about it, seems like a double standard to me, guys take their shirt off a lot, and people/ their GFs don't see it as a problem. Does your girlfriend choose what you wear, I understand it was to do with aesthetics rather than provocativeness when you chose, but unless you were coordinating outfits as a couple or something what even is the point of that? Both of you just wear what you want FFS.
If my response is so typical, why do guys still not understand that girls can dress however they want and it be for themselves? All that shows is purposeful ignorance tbh.

To have tits n pussy on show when courting? says more about you, that. Not lady like & morally indefensible. He should dump her, it's whorish behaviour. She seeks attention from other men, ****gish behaviour.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending