Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Law Personal statement

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hey guys, please could you review my personal statement below. I am a mature student applying to join for a degree in Law. I will greatly appreciate any critique that is given. - Eren

Edit: It was advised to make the PS between 500-1500 words. It was initially much longer, but I've since condensed it down & cut out a lot of waffle. If you think I should add more bulk to it can you advise as to what you think I could add which would be helpful & contribute positively to it.

I’ve always sought to become a solicitor and as I work closely with solicitors this passion has only since grown over the previous few years. I feel a law degree would be ideal for me. As a person, I love to debate, I’m an avid reader and I’m very logical in my thinking.

I would like to nurture the analytical and problem solving skills which I believe the law degree would provide me with. The legal knowledge I will acquire throughout the degree combined with my existing skill set which I’ve gained through my three years’ experience as an Insolvency Administrator will provide me with the expertise needed to pursue my personal and professional ambitions at an expedited rate.

My out of work interests consist of travelling, art, reading & music. I have travelled to Japan, Italy, Iceland, America, Turkey, Spain and many other countries in the previous few years. I am also very passionate about art. I have a freelance business where I provide commission based graphic design and web design services for other people.

I am returning to university as a mature student, because I have strongly been considering over the previous few years what I want to do with my life, and I’ve come to the realisation that given the opportunity, this will act as my last opportunity to achieve my lifetime aspiration of becoming a solicitor.

My former experience in this job has, however, provided me with skills that will assist me throughout this degree. As this sector is highly regulated by dates and deadlines. It requires me to be extremely organised with my outgoing work for the upcoming weeks.

If a deadline is submitted late, it can result in a fine or worse. Due to these regulatory responsibilities I have learned to make sure my deadlines are completed within their expected dates and are never late.

I am also expected to provide extremely accurate information, as I deal with the financial accounts of both individuals and corporate entities, I have gained the ability to retain a lot of accurate information after a single read of a document.

As I stated before I work with solicitors, as well as other companies, banks, government facilities, etc. This correspondence has allowed me to gain a deep understanding on how companies work and the legal etiquette involved with speaking with the relevant parties.

I expect that the experience I have gained throughout my career will prove to be very helpful in progressing through this degree. I hope that I have shown throughout this personal statement how passionate I am about my career.

Should I get accepted onto this degree it will not only support me in progressing through my career; but it will help me develop as a person in the path I have decided to take in life.

Don't post your PS on here. Delete it immediately.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

I want...

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.