The Student Room Group

Physician Associate Studies 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruric
Thank you so much. I will look these things up. i appreciate you helping me cause I hadn't looked at them at all :smile:

You're welcome
Reply 21
Original post by jelaniye
You're welcome

thank you so much Jelaniye
all those questions were part of my interview and helped me be more prepared!

God Bless you
Hi! Im a current nursing student and am applying for September 2017 entry! If anyone could offer me some help with my personal statement, that would be great? :smile:
Original post by bm_sewell
Hi! Im a current nursing student and am applying for September 2017 entry! If anyone could offer me some help with my personal statement, that would be great? :smile:

Hi there let me know how you get on iv been qualified nurse three years
Reply 24
Original post by angelseyes
Hi there let me know how you get on iv been qualified nurse three years

I'm 3 years qualified I start at UWE on Monday xx
Original post by Gosnold
I'm 3 years qualified I start at UWE on Monday xx

Excellent did they like that you were an nurse?
Reply 26
Excellent did they like that you were an nurse?

Yes they did they like a healthcare background but have an answer prepared for why you want to go down this route rather than a nurse practitioner xx *
Original post by Gosnold
Yes they did they like a healthcare background but have an answer prepared for why you want to go down this route rather than a nurse practitioner xx *

ohh yes!! what did you say to that one?? lol
Reply 28
ohh yes!! what did you say to that one?? lol

Am curious as well. For nurses, why is becoming a physician associate more favoured than becoming a nurse practitioner?
For me it would be because I want to learn more science linked stuff more about the human body chemistry. Also nurse practitioners can't walk round the wards diagnosing from what I know it's restricted to like walk in centres GP practices etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Hi, has anyone got an offer from Birmingham starting January 2017? I got an offer nearly two weeks ago, they sent me the email saying I got accepted an hour after my interview! Wasn't expecting it at all, as they said it would take them minimum 14 days to go through all applicants again before getting back to us, plus let's say my interview day didn't start as the best of days... So happy and extremely excited to start! :biggrin:
Reply 31
Original post by Caro G
Hi, I am starting at Sheffield Hallam January 2017. I just want to find out if anyone have received any further information regarding the course.

Hi im starting in jan 2017 and i havent received any further information so i wouldnt worry.
Reply 32
Hi, im starting in jan 2017 too. I havent recieved any further information either so dont worry.
hi! i have an interview on friday for birmingham 2017, how was your interview do you have any tips? :smile: well done on getting a place and that is so quick!! I'll be worried now if i don't get a quick response haha! thanks :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by kimberley77
hi! i have an interview on friday for birmingham 2017, how was your interview do you have any tips? :smile: well done on getting a place and that is so quick!! I'll be worried now if i don't get a quick response haha! thanks :smile:

Well done on getting an interview!! I heard competition was quite fierce this year. My interview was generally very relaxed ( a was a bit stressed, but mainly because that morning I got the wrong train and ended up in London instead Birm New Street! :colondollar: ), and I loved it compared to the interview I had at St. George (you can prepare for Birmingham and is interview based, St. George is all based on attitudinal tests and you really can't prepare for them).

There were 3 interviewers, one was an american PA, one was a lecturer on the course, and a third person was a GP, all of them were woman, which, to be perfectly honest, made me feel more at ease. The first two ladies made the questions, the GP was definitely more locking at my body language and probably assessing the fairness of the interview. They first asked me how I intended to fund my course: you probably need to prepare for this one and have clear ideas of how you intend to fund yourself, as in the past they had people refusing offers last minute because of the funding and they seemed quite pissed off about it. Next thing they asked me about myself and how I decided to become a PA: my tip here is to be very honest. They will notice if you are clearly lying and this will penalise you. Try to reconstruct a clear thought pathway of why you decided to become a PA, so you can be both prepared and rely on your actual memories when the question is asked, and you won't have problems trying to remember every detail if you panic. If you had experience in a hospital etc., mention it, particularly if you found yourself generally liking the idea of working in healthcare, but found that you could never be a doctor because you don't like something about that certain professional role (too much responsibility/not enough time with patients). Basically, the more you can use from your personal experience in why you choose to become a PA, the better. Obviously don't say I wanted to become a doctor, but was too competitive/didn't get an offer etc. because is exactly what they DON'T want! This was the part of the interview you really don't need to prepare for.

Then they will ask you more specific questions were you need to have researched and prepared for. Know by memory the 6 C's of the NHS, know general medical ethics, the medical oath and in general PA history, generally in the UK, but if you know some history of PA in the US is always a plus. You need to have clear ideas of what a PA can do and what is allowed to do at the moment, and how this could change. Think about how PA, as a new profession, can find obstacles during their settlement and what these obstacles take the form of (public opinion, other members of staff etc.). Research a lot of PBL, not only what generally it is, but how the whole process of PBL works, so it's better if you find examples that show you how a PBL session is run, with how students are approached and what they are asked to do. And compare and contrast Birmingham course with the ones of other university, with clear idea why you chose Birmingham.

Hope this helps! :smile: As I said, the interview process is actually enjoyable, the campus is lovely, and the people at Occupational Health (where you will be interview) are so sweet and helpful! (they were so nice about my train accident!)

Good luck with your interview, hope you get a place! If so, I created a thread for January 2017 entry for Birmingham PA students at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67781352&highlight= so feel free to post here when you get an offer!

Again, good luck! :smile:
Original post by SCBbio
Well done on getting an interview!! I heard competition was quite fierce this year. My interview was generally very relaxed ( a was a bit stressed, but mainly because that morning I got the wrong train and ended up in London instead Birm New Street! :colondollar: ), and I loved it compared to the interview I had at St. George (you can prepare for Birmingham and is interview based, St. George is all based on attitudinal tests and you really can't prepare for them).

There were 3 interviewers, one was an american PA, one was a lecturer on the course, and a third person was a GP, all of them were woman, which, to be perfectly honest, made me feel more at ease. The first two ladies made the questions, the GP was definitely more locking at my body language and probably assessing the fairness of the interview. They first asked me how I intended to fund my course: you probably need to prepare for this one and have clear ideas of how you intend to fund yourself, as in the past they had people refusing offers last minute because of the funding and they seemed quite pissed off about it. Next thing they asked me about myself and how I decided to become a PA: my tip here is to be very honest. They will notice if you are clearly lying and this will penalise you. Try to reconstruct a clear thought pathway of why you decided to become a PA, so you can be both prepared and rely on your actual memories when the question is asked, and you won't have problems trying to remember every detail if you panic. If you had experience in a hospital etc., mention it, particularly if you found yourself generally liking the idea of working in healthcare, but found that you could never be a doctor because you don't like something about that certain professional role (too much responsibility/not enough time with patients). Basically, the more you can use from your personal experience in why you choose to become a PA, the better. Obviously don't say I wanted to become a doctor, but was too competitive/didn't get an offer etc. because is exactly what they DON'T want! This was the part of the interview you really don't need to prepare for.

Then they will ask you more specific questions were you need to have researched and prepared for. Know by memory the 6 C's of the NHS, know general medical ethics, the medical oath and in general PA history, generally in the UK, but if you know some history of PA in the US is always a plus. You need to have clear ideas of what a PA can do and what is allowed to do at the moment, and how this could change. Think about how PA, as a new profession, can find obstacles during their settlement and what these obstacles take the form of (public opinion, other members of staff etc.). Research a lot of PBL, not only what generally it is, but how the whole process of PBL works, so it's better if you find examples that show you how a PBL session is run, with how students are approached and what they are asked to do. And compare and contrast Birmingham course with the ones of other university, with clear idea why you chose Birmingham.

Hope this helps! :smile: As I said, the interview process is actually enjoyable, the campus is lovely, and the people at Occupational Health (where you will be interview) are so sweet and helpful! (they were so nice about my train accident!)

Good luck with your interview, hope you get a place! If so, I created a thread for January 2017 entry for Birmingham PA students at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67781352&highlight= so feel free to post here when you get an offer!

Again, good luck! :smile:

thankyou sooo much, this is lots of info and so helpful!! :smile: really thankyou. Congrats again! I so hope I get an offer I really want to go to birmignham!
Thanks again :smile: yes if i get an offer, I shall join! :smile: fingers crossed!!!
thankyou sooo much, this is lots of info and so helpful!! :smile: really thankyou. Congrats again! I so hope I get an offer I really want to go to birmignham!
Thanks again :smile: yes if i get an offer, I shall join! :smile: fingers crossed!!!

do you happen to know how many people are offered a place? I know there are two cohorts, I'm surprised they still have places for jan 2017 tbh if it is so competitive! jan is not far now!!
Reply 37
do you happen to know how many people are offered a place? I know there are two cohorts, I'm surprised they still have places for jan 2017 tbh if it is so competitive! jan is not far now!!

Well for what I know there are 30 places, but they might increase the numbers! Possibly because many people have no means to fund the course and they have rejected many offers, plus usually (I say this because they do it at St. George) they give 1 offer to the most successful candidate of that day shortly after the interview, while everybody else is grouped together and admission staff go through everybody again and chooses from those applicants who is qualified enough to get on the course, probably taking into account references this time! These applicants are basically given a score and a number on the list, so if later on other people reject offers and you have been unsuccessful, you might still get a place later on. Hope this helps, and good luck with your interview! :smile:
Reply 38

Also, have you considered attending the open day on the 25th October? I will probably attend to know more about modules, textbooks and in order to meet people (good way to start a househare) etc.
Original post by SCBbio
Also, have you considered attending the open day on the 25th October? I will probably attend to know more about modules, textbooks and in order to meet people (good way to start a househare) etc.

thanks thats really helpful! i know how i'll fund it so thats not a problem.. i hope they increase the numbers haha. i'm not sure, i may well come along ! depending on if they've offered me a place of course haha, although i may not know by then! let me know if you do go :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending