The Student Room Group

Physician Associate Studies 2017 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hi

I'm applying for the North West PA course.

I got an email today saying that you have to pay the £9k fees yourself but I was under the impression that this was covered by the NHS last year?

Are there alternative funding options (I don't have £18k!!)
Reply 41
Original post by Biom123
Hi

I'm applying for the North West PA course.

I got an email today saying that you have to pay the £9k fees yourself but I was under the impression that this was covered by the NHS last year?

Are there alternative funding options (I don't have £18k!!)

I am afraid not, last year the pilot NW PA course had fees paid and a salary, this year is only the salary. I know some people are taking the Professional development loan and using 5000 of it every year towards the fees and using the NHS salary to pay for the rest each month plus to cover rent & living costs.

A bit unfortunate, seem that funding are being withdrawn to many PA courses: I have been accepted at Birmingham and we have only a 50% fees discount for this year (they don't know yet about the 2nd year) and people that started January 2016 had fully funded fees! Same for UEA, last year was funded and this year they are not sure yet.

Hope you find a way to sort your problem Biom123!
Reply 42
Hi, I am also applying for the north west course!
I got an email the other day to say that the application would go live from the nhs.job website, however I haven't been able to find it using the search term they gave. Has anyone else had any luck??
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 43
Hi. I am also having problems trying to find the application post. No luck here
Reply 44
https://www.nwpgmd.nhs.uk/physician_associate Should be on NHS jobs at 10am
Original post by JamesManc
I know not 2017...but Starting Sheffield Hallam in September

Hey are tuition fees paid for at Sheffield Hallam on top of the £5000 bursary?
anyone got a reply yet?
Original post by ChampionIke
anyone got a reply yet?

I applied for the Pa North west course, haven't heard yet, think they close on the 23rd October and we find out whether we get invited to interview around the 9th November 😱😱😱 in so impatient 🙈
Reply 48
Hi guys, I'm a Neuroscience undergrad doing my final year. I wanted to know what's the difference between PgDip and MSc PA? Also how is everyone planning to fund themselves? Any tips for preparing for the application? Would greatly appreciate any help cos I feel a bit clueless! :s-smilie: Thank you
Original post by aks2695
Hi guys, I'm a Neuroscience undergrad doing my final year. I wanted to know what's the difference between PgDip and MSc PA? Also how is everyone planning to fund themselves? Any tips for preparing for the application? Would greatly appreciate any help cos I feel a bit clueless! :s-smilie: Thank you

The only difference is the MSc involves a dissertation, but you end up with a MSc rather than a PGdip, usually to convert a PGdip to a MSc you can just do a dissertation at a later date over 3 months but you'd need to secure funding or pay for this as well.

For north west courses there's a salary, I intend to take out a Career development loan for £10,000, pay £5000 off year 1 and £5000 off year 2, and pay the remainding £4000 from ear year from the salary (£333) a month leaving myself with £750 a month to live off. :smile:)

I guess for preparing start getting some healthcare experience/voluntary work on wards would be a great idea :smile: x
Original post by aks2695

Hey! As far as the PgDip and MSc, the difference is just the title you will receive (of course). Some people say that those with MSc will be more employable than people graduating with PgDips, and that might be the case in the future, but right now I don't think it will make employer such a big difference since there are more spaces for PAs than PA applicants in the NHS. Most courses with PgDips are either thinking about evolving to an MSc soon or already offer an MSc with some additional time (like, doing your dissertation in the first year or first two years employment, something like that.
Funding is complicated, many courses started full of partially funding but seem like funding is now running out, places have started to decline. Some Unis still have funding opportunities. Plymouth is still doing 100% funding for next year and they might still be interviewing, worth having a check! Courses starting after January might also still have places and funding avaiable.
As for the application, prepare for it as if you were applying to medicine. the interview and selection process will be there same, the only difference is no requirement for UKCAT yet (unless you are applying for Queen Mary, they are the only Uni asking UKCAT for PAs)
Anyway, hope that helped a little bit
:smile:
Reply 51
Original post by jones10
The only difference is the MSc involves a dissertation, but you end up with a MSc rather than a PGdip, usually to convert a PGdip to a MSc you can just do a dissertation at a later date over 3 months but you'd need to secure funding or pay for this as well.

For north west courses there's a salary, I intend to take out a Career development loan for £10,000, pay £5000 off year 1 and £5000 off year 2, and pay the remainding £4000 from ear year from the salary (£333) a month leaving myself with £750 a month to live off. :smile:)

I guess for preparing start getting some healthcare experience/voluntary work on wards would be a great idea :smile: x

Hi, thanks for the reply,
Are you living at home cos I won't be able to be home if I'm doing a North West course, and I would have to consider accomadation and maintenance... :s-smilie:
Reply 52
Original post by j_vicente
Hey! As far as the PgDip and MSc, the difference is just the title you will receive (of course). Some people say that those with MSc will be more employable than people graduating with PgDips, and that might be the case in the future, but right now I don't think it will make employer such a big difference since there are more spaces for PAs than PA applicants in the NHS. Most courses with PgDips are either thinking about evolving to an MSc soon or already offer an MSc with some additional time (like, doing your dissertation in the first year or first two years employment, something like that.
Funding is complicated, many courses started full of partially funding but seem like funding is now running out, places have started to decline. Some Unis still have funding opportunities. Plymouth is still doing 100% funding for next year and they might still be interviewing, worth having a check! Courses starting after January might also still have places and funding avaiable.
As for the application, prepare for it as if you were applying to medicine. the interview and selection process will be there same, the only difference is no requirement for UKCAT yet (unless you are applying for Queen Mary, they are the only Uni asking UKCAT for PAs)
Anyway, hope that helped a little bit
:smile:

Hi, thanks a lot, your reply made me feel better! :h: Still deciding between Msc and PgDip
Original post by aks2695
Hi, thanks for the reply,
Are you living at home cos I won't be able to be home if I'm doing a North West course, and I would have to consider accomadation and maintenance... :s-smilie:

Hey :smile: no worries!

Yeah I'd be living at home, it'd be impossible for me otherwise :frown: where abouts are you based? Have you thought what unis you may go to? x
Reply 54
Original post by jones10
Hey :smile: no worries!

Yeah I'd be living at home, it'd be impossible for me otherwise :frown: where abouts are you based? Have you thought what unis you may go to? x

I live in London but attend UCLan, and was hoping to do the UCLan course due the 10% discount, salary and possible bursary that's available :colondollar: Finance is a big problem! :frown: St. Georges is an option as I live right beside it but idk..... I'll have to take a year out to save up some money and gain experience, whereas the partially funded UCLan course I can start in Feb right away
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 55
Does anyone know if we will hear anything before the 9th of November? I was wondering if they are longlisting or will it just be invitation to interview?
Original post by rls997
Does anyone know if we will hear anything before the 9th of November? I was wondering if they are longlisting or will it just be invitation to interview?

I wanted to know this too! Do you think the fact it never closed early is a good sign for us? Meaning less applicants? 🙈
Reply 57
I'm guessing the max. number of applicants allowed would have been 500 as last year but with funding changing less applicants this year. For those who applied for the north west programmes, may I ask your preferred universities and what degrees and any work experience you have. I've recently graduated from uni of Liverpool in pharmacology and only have retail experience. My 1st choice is obviously Liverpool as i'm too lazy to move away :tongue: and financially would be easier. Hope everyone here gets an interview :smile:
Original post by jones10
I wanted to know this too! Do you think the fact it never closed early is a good sign for us? Meaning less applicants? 🙈

I received an email

Good morning Beth Invitations to attend for interview will be sent out on the 9th November to all those applicants who have been successful through long and short listing.At the close of recruitment we had received 630 applications for the 165 places available across the North West.Regards
Reply 59
630 applications, yikes! I'm guessing a few were re-submits for those forgetting to put their preferences but still seems very competitive this year. No wonder it's gonna take them till the 9th to shortlist for interview.

Quick Reply