Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

RAF medical TMU

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016

Hi there, I had my RAF medical around 6 weeks ago where I was classed as TMU because of acne on my back.

The acne is no where near severe and it is only a small amount although I do have quite a bit of scaring, my GP (who has served in the RAF) said that I should never have been failed as I don't have any live acne.

I have been prescribed antibiotics which have worked reasonably well but I'm concerned that the acne won't have fully healed/gone away in time for my second medical

So my question is, as my GP has offered to write a letter in my favour to take with me and give to the medical examiner explaining the situation, would that help?

There's not really anyone who can give you that answer apart from the RAF medical people. This forum is full of people who've been TMU/PMU because of seemingly 'silly' things (myself included), but the RAF has the control of their standards, and if they say no its a no.

Taking the letter can't hurt. Have some hope in that its just Temporarily Medically Unfit - theres always a chance. I hope it all goes your way.

My daughter had her medical on the 9th September but was put as Temporarily Medically Unfit for 4 weeks because they hadnt received a letter from our family doctor with regards to an 'alleged' asthma situation 4 years ago. She has basically had a spirometory back in January where the results were she had never had asthma. My question would be, she has sent the letter to the AFCO office this week by recorded delivery. Will the AFCO office get back to her within the 4 week period or should she contact them herself? I dont want the 4 week period to lapse and nothing has happened. Has anyone else had a similar situation? Any advise to an overly anxious mum would be greatly received.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

What do wear to bed?
Useful resources

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.