The Student Room Group

How do Universities look at retakes and self studied A-Levels during a Gap Year?

I've had a couple of bad exams and needed AAB to study Economics at Manchester University next year, but may get as low as BBC depending on results. I could be forced to retake as many as 5 exams during a gap year, so would universities discriminate against me for taking another year to resit A-Levels?Also, would self-teaching another full A-Level in the gap year be worth looking at? I will have a lot of time and will have the resources to do this to an A grade standard, so I was wondering if that would be an option.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by throwaway1234567
I've had a couple of bad exams and needed AAB to study Economics at Manchester University next year, but may get as low as BBC depending on results. I could be forced to retake as many as 5 exams during a gap year, so would universities discriminate against me for taking another year to resit A-Levels?Also, would self-teaching another full A-Level in the gap year be worth looking at? I will have a lot of time and will have the resources to do this to an A grade standard, so I was wondering if that would be an option.

I think it depends. One of the reasons why universities ask for A-levels is because they want to know that you can handle the workload and do well under pressure. I got an offer from Manchester (this is University of Manchester we're talking about, right? Not Manchester Met?) even though I declared a resit (having got an E in one AS paper and an overall C) but as for taking a year out, I'm not sure how they'd respond to it.

Now, I've been told for my course (not at Manchester, somewhere else, but a decent university nonetheless) that as it's relatively undersubscribed, I might be let in with BBB rather than AAB but they can't guarantee it. I recommend speaking to a course tutor and finding out if they would let you in with slightly lower grades - many unis will since they'd rather have someone on the course who wants to be there than someone who got in through Clearing and didn't want to go there. Obviously BBC might be a little too low for them, but it's worth asking!

Also, don't stress too much about your grades! If you got good AS results it can be a great safety net, and if you had a few exams which went badly there's a chance they'll lower the grade boundaries, if a lot of people struggled.

Best of luck! :smile:

To answer your second question, self-teaching can seriously improve your UCAS form and your CV too. It'll also give you something to do with your time, and if things go wrong on results day, you'd be able to reapply with the promise of that extra subject. I'd recommend something that links well to the course you want to do, as that would show the university you're interested.

It depends on your subject, as far as I know Economics is quite competitive and Manchester University is quite a good university so your best bet is to email and ask
Depends on the course.

I was/am resitting and I've got an offer for medicine this year.
Reply 5
Hi! I am also self-studying. What did you fill in for this part? Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 2.58.17 PM.png
Original post by Byun.B
Hi! I am also self-studying. What did you fill in for this part? Screen Shot 2017-02-18 at 2.58.17 PM.png

For a course I'm self-teaching I put the name of the college that I'm sitting the exam at in that box.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by sinfonietta
For a course I'm self-teaching I put the name of the college that I'm sitting the exam at in that box.

Hello! What about the dates?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Byun.B
Hello! What about the dates?

I think I put down Aug 2016-Jun 2017, as those are the dates students who were taught the same course in the college would have put on their applications.

Although I didn't actually start studying until this month, heh. :redface:
Reply 9
I think I put down Aug 2016-Jun 2017, as those are the dates students who were taught the same course in the college would have put on their applications.

Ohh! But it gives you this warning which says "as you have entered a finish date which is in the future, these details must be for the school or college you are currently attending." Do you still put it in?
Original post by Byun.B
Ohh! But it gives you this warning which says "as you have entered a finish date which is in the future, these details must be for the school or college you are currently attending." Do you still put it in?

If you've not sat the exam yet then yes. That message comes up regardless IIRC.
Reply 11
If you've not sat the exam yet then yes. That message comes up regardless IIRC.

Seriously!! Thank you so much for your replies!! I was so worried T^T Are you sitting your exams this summer too ?
Original post by Byun.B
Seriously!! Thank you so much for your replies!! I was so worried T^T Are you sitting your exams this summer too ?

No problem! :smile:

Sitting mine May 23rd. I think I'm more nervous about going to a town/college I don't know than the actual exam! Getting lost seems scarier than potential failure. :lol:
Reply 13
No problem! :smile:

Sitting mine May 23rd. I think I'm more nervous about going to a town/college I don't know than the actual exam! Getting lost seems scarier than potential failure. :lol:

Ahahah Good Luck!! Mine's from May 1-12! Hope we both do well~
Original post by Byun.B
Ahahah Good Luck!! Mine's from May 1-12! Hope we both do well~

Good luck to you too! :hugs:
Reply 15
Good luck to you too! :hugs:

Did you receive any offers so far?
Original post by Byun.B
Did you receive any offers so far?

I have, yes. Four, in fact - including my top choice (Uni of Glasgow)! :biggrin:
Reply 17
I have, yes. Four, in fact - including my top choice (Uni of Glasgow)! :biggrin:

Wow! That's amazing. I will be sending my application soon~
Reply 18

Hey! um did you put in your predicted grades? Is it okay if I ask my referee to do it for me? My referee is my previous Principal!
Original post by Byun.B
Hey! um did you put in your predicted grades? Is it okay if I ask my referee to do it for me? My referee is my previous Principal!

You put the grades as pending.

Your referee will then be asked for your predictions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending