The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Open University Oct 2016!

Hello,

Is anyone starting a course at the Open University this year?
I'm starting in October 2016, studying Bsc Law and Psychology.
Be cool to see what other people are studying :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yes! I am starting BA (Hons) Criminology and Law. Scared but determined!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Computing & IT here. I've been preparing by doing MOOCs. I just finished OpenLearn's English: Skills for learning course. It's not rich on actual content, but it's very good at describing what the OU is looking for in essays and other assignments. On reflection, it's not much different than what's in the OU's Help Centre Assessment guides. It is, however, easier to follow because of how it's presented.
Reply 3
Original post by Beth2907
Yes! I am starting BA (Hons) Criminology and Law. Scared but determined!

Oh cool! Pretty similar courses. They all look so interestin.
I'm kinda scared too. Have you done any courses with them before?
Reply 4
Original post by JollyCynic
Computing & IT here. I've been preparing by doing MOOCs. I just finished OpenLearn's English: Skills for learning course. It's not rich on actual content, but it's very good at describing what the OU is looking for in essays and other assignments. On reflection, it's not much different than what's in the OU's Help Centre Assessment guides. It is, however, easier to follow because of how it's presented.

Yeah I saw some stuff on OpenLearn and thought I would check it out. I haven't actually looked at the help centre guides yet so I will look at those as well, Thanks!
*Waves* I'm starting a BA in Language Studies in October. I'll be taking L192 (Beginner's French), L120 (Intermediate French), L193 (Beginner's German) and L161 (Exploring Languages and Culture). I can't wait to start! I've been preparing by reading through a lot of the Help Centre stuff, as well, mostly the Skills for Study section. I also just came across this website, which looks really helpful!
Hi, I am going to be starting the Bsc (Honours) Natural Sciences, can't wait to get started.
Reply 7
Hello everyone,
I have enrolled on BSc (Honours) Psychology starting in October. I cant wait to get started but also very nervous as its been a long time since I've studied anything!
Helllllllllo everyone
Studying BSc (honours) natural Sciences (Biology) starting October 2016 😄😄😄🤗
Hi, I'm doing Computing & IT too. I have checked out the Maths for Science and Technology. It seems simple enough but I did Maths in school fifty years ago. Er..., and I was surprised to discover that I had forgotten how to actually do anything. I must have a look at the English too. I'm itching to get started and strike while the iron is hot but apparently I will have to wait until September sometime to see any material. There is interesting GCSE level maths material on Youtube from ukmathsteacher. I have also looked at the OU stuff on developing study skills and been seriously underwhelmed. The Youtube material from longbeachcitycollege on that subject looks far better and it's free; lots of good stuff on Youtube.
Original post by Buffalomatt
Hi, I'm doing Computing & IT too. I have checked out the Maths for Science and Technology. It seems simple enough but I did Maths in school fifty years ago. Er..., and I was surprised to discover that I had forgotten how to actually do anything. I must have a look at the English too. I'm itching to get started and strike while the iron is hot but apparently I will have to wait until September sometime to see any material. There is interesting GCSE level maths material on Youtube from ukmathsteacher. I have also looked at the OU stuff on developing study skills and been seriously underwhelmed. The Youtube material from longbeachcitycollege on that subject looks far better and it's free; lots of good stuff on Youtube.

Hi, I'm not doing anything maths related but there's a website called Khan Academy, basically you can create a (free) account and practice various kinds of maths at various levels, which might be helpful?
Thanks for that. I will check it out.
I will be studying BA Business Manangement this oct :smile:
Reply 13
Would love to find people studying Classical Studies! :h:
Hey all im starting this October in Business Management (accounting)
Reply 15
Hello everyone.

I'm hoping to start to complete my Open degree with the Open university this year too. I have just applied for credit transfer from my foundation degree. Looks like I will get 210 Credits so going to slowly top it up as I have two small daughters (4 years and 5 months). I'm going to do 30 credits in year 1 (level 2) and 60 credits each in years 2/3. I need to start with level 2 as I need a good amount of relevant modules as hoping to do a PGCE in 2020 once my youngest is at school.

Good luck everyone.
Original post by Castiel1989
Hi, I am going to be starting the Bsc (Honours) Natural Sciences, can't wait to get started.

What science are you planning to study?

I'm planning on studying Bsc (Honors) Natural Sciences (Physics).
Bsc hons Health and Social Care here! Feeling excited/nervous x
Original post by Davew3000
What science are you planning to study?

I'm planning on studying Bsc (Honors) Natural Sciences (Physics).

Hey, im going to be studying the Biology pathway.
I'm starting a Bsc in Mathematics and Physics in October. Really looking forward to getting stuck in.

Quick Reply

Latest