The Student Room Group

Advice on how to be accepted for a a doctorate programme (Counselling Psychology)

I will be graduating in July with a BscHons in Psychology and Counselling from Roehampton Uni

The next step I wish to take is to do a doctorate in counselling psychology.

I have the grade (2:1) and I've spoken to my tutors at uni but I still do not feel confident on what I should do to give me an edge when applying for the doctorate course- as I've been told it is extremely competitive.

Mine and my boyfriends dream has been for several years to travel the world, and now I have finished uni we can finally start planning.

My plan so far is this...

This September I am going to Uganda where I will be volunteering as a occupational therapist assistant for a month. For the first week I will be shadowing an occupational therapist where I will then be offering play therapy to disabled children. I will also be offering a helping hand and an open ear to the parents of these children. Because of their culture these families have had to face some really rough times from believing their child is possessed by witchcraft to their family and community disowning them because of their child's disability. I will be educating them on their child's disability with the aim to improve their outlook and encourage optimism.

My plan is to volunteer all over the world where and when I can with the desire it will give my application an extra edge. We wish to travel mostly across Africa and Asia.

What I'm stuck on is what positions will be most benefical for me to apply for over here in the UK?

I was also told that there is no point in applying until 25, is this really the case?

Any advice on what experience I should gain to help me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by adeleharris

I suspect you need to do some thinking about your longer career aspirations and what the jobs market in your sector is looking for. Counselling is a fundamentally practical/applied skill, and Psychology similarly so, but perhaps with a few more pure academic opportunities. Going from undergrad, almost directly to a PhD without any substantial practical experience (and Uganda won't achieve that), there is a distinct risk you will end up with many qualifications but little or no real professional experience, and therefore find employment opportunities very limited.

Can you do some research around the sector and look and see at what stage of their career doctorate holders have done their PhDs? I strongly suspect many will have done them mid-career, after substantial practical experience. That is probably what the 'there's no point applying until 25' comment meant, like an MBA, a PhD without a few years professional experience under your belt may not be of value.
Original post by threeportdrift
I suspect you need to do some thinking about your longer career aspirations and what the jobs market in your sector is looking for. Counselling is a fundamentally practical/applied skill, and Psychology similarly so, but perhaps with a few more pure academic opportunities. Going from undergrad, almost directly to a PhD without any substantial practical experience (and Uganda won't achieve that), there is a distinct risk you will end up with many qualifications but little or no real professional experience, and therefore find employment opportunities very limited.

Can you do some research around the sector and look and see at what stage of their career doctorate holders have done their PhDs? I strongly suspect many will have done them mid-career, after substantial practical experience. That is probably what the 'there's no point applying until 25' comment meant, like an MBA, a PhD without a few years professional experience under your belt may not be of value.

It's not a PhD OP would be applying for.

Original post by adeleharris
I will be graduating in July with a BscHons in Psychology and Counselling from Roehampton Uni

The next step I wish to take is to do a doctorate in counselling psychology.

I have the grade (2:1) and I've spoken to my tutors at uni but I still do not feel confident on what I should do to give me an edge when applying for the doctorate course- as I've been told it is extremely competitive.

Mine and my boyfriends dream has been for several years to travel the world, and now I have finished uni we can finally start planning.

My plan so far is this...

This September I am going to Uganda where I will be volunteering as a occupational therapist assistant for a month. For the first week I will be shadowing an occupational therapist where I will then be offering play therapy to disabled children. I will also be offering a helping hand and an open ear to the parents of these children. Because of their culture these families have had to face some really rough times from believing their child is possessed by witchcraft to their family and community disowning them because of their child's disability. I will be educating them on their child's disability with the aim to improve their outlook and encourage optimism.

My plan is to volunteer all over the world where and when I can with the desire it will give my application an extra edge. We wish to travel mostly across Africa and Asia.

What I'm stuck on is what positions will be most benefical for me to apply for over here in the UK?

I was also told that there is no point in applying until 25, is this really the case?

Any advice on what experience I should gain to help me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

No. People generally get accepted onto doctorates in their mid-late twenties, however it does happen earlier. It all depends on your application as a whole. However, I would advise you to get experience in the UK, as psychology in other countries is likely to be vastly different to here in the UK. Although by no means compulsory, more and more students are now undertaking further study (MSc etc) to give their application that boost.

Quick Reply

Latest