The Student Room Group

The immense stupidity of the young idealistic Remain vote

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 09craige
Just because you don't choose to hoover your home, other people do. Also, what about hoovering out cars for example.
They didn't actually ban bananas but they did try to class bananas by their curvature and we're trying to prevent malformed bananas being sold. These are not the only things people should educate themselves on, they should be aware of economic indicators including our budget deficit that is way more important than this trivial matter about bananas.

I know it's trivial.

But I couldn't help see the irony in someone citing myths while telling other people to educate themselves.

My vote is based on the economy, not hoovers or bananas.
I am 18, and voted Leave as soon as my polling station opened this morning. Since coming into college for my final exam I have been ridiculed. I have no problem respecting people's views voting remain, this is such a big decision for many and there are endless arguments on both sides. So why haven't I received the same respect? I've just been called stupid and racist...
Reply 182
Original post by Davij038
She's managed to find work now, and is worried that a recession might put her job at risk*. Gee, what a moron...

Also I like how young people are clueless idealists but old people voting remain (people over 75 are more inclined to vote IN) are outdated dinosaurs.

(Of course we'll have full employment when we leave the EU . And everyone will get a detached three bedroom house).

Yeah right, with who's cash exactly? LOL you are so delusional - understand that WITHOUT the EU you'd not be able to get produce from abroad at a cheaper rate. Would you like thugs to sell you £45 eggs in the street corner? No I take it you wouldnt so lets just put a stop to this nonsense and stay in Europe.
Original post by Good bloke
You think fields full of solar panels is a good way forward for Britain?

No but every south facing roof could have one on. With the exception of places like historic buildings.
Original post by chloejane330
So why haven't I received the same respect? I've just been called stupid and racist...

Simply because your circle of friends and acquaintances contains a high proportion of intolerant people (ironic, considering they call you racist) who demonstrate a herd instinct and who have not yet learned how to rub along with those they disagree with on some issues. They will probably grow out of it, and not being able to find affordable accommodation in a few years time may accelerate that process.
Original post by JamesN88
I know it's trivial.

But I couldn't help see the irony in someone citing myths while telling other people to educate themselves.

My vote is based on the economy, not hoovers or bananas.

Not a myth. Was something that the EU wanted to do.
But anyway, that's not the big issue. My vote is based on neither bananas or hoovers but on the economy also.
That is why I am voting leave.
-The fiscal deficit will improve.
-the balance of payments will improve
-we can control immigration meaning more places available in schools, more jobs available etc
-fewer people out of work so lower government spending on benefits (good for fiscal deficit)
-we can negotiate our own trade deals
Original post by Dnkz7
WITHOUT the EU you'd not be able to get produce from abroad at a cheaper rate. Would you like thugs to sell you £45 eggs in the street corner?

Are you serious? Why would suppliers in Europe raise the prices of their goods to British buyers to the extent that the market ceases to exist? That would be a bonanza for British farmers - all that set-aside land could be returned to profitable food production, food imports could be reduced and food prices could fall through lower transport costs.
Original post by 09craige
Not a myth. Was something that the EU wanted to do.

Not wanted to do. Did. Banana straightness and size were regulated for a few years. Then it was retracted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94
Reply 188
Are you serious? Why would suppliers in Europe raise the prices of their goods to British buyers to the extent that the market ceases to exist? That would be a bonanza for British farmers - all that set-aside land could be returned to profitable food production, food imports could be reduced and food prices could fall through lower transport costs.

Take a good look around you and then come back to me when you have proper figures. Experts have said that leaving the EU will cause the Pound to drastically fall.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/22/if-uk-votes-leave-in-brexit-referendum-pound-sterling-will-likely-tumble-dollar-surge.html

On top of that, we have migrants who are working in farms because it is cheaper to produce labour with them than British workers. Again, you use transport as another example but atm fuel is cheap however it is very volatile so I expect anytime soon the price of it will increase again.
Original post by chloejane330
I am 18, and voted Leave as soon as my polling station opened this morning. Since coming into college for my final exam I have been ridiculed. I have no problem respecting people's views voting remain, this is such a big decision for many and there are endless arguments on both sides. So why haven't I received the same respect? I've just been called stupid and racist...

Well done. I have noticed that the remain supporters tend to be more like that, maybe they feel threatened.
Thank you
Not wanted to do. Did. Banana straightness and size were regulated for a few years. Then it was retracted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commission_Regulation_(EC)_No._2257/94
Original post by Dnkz7
Take a good look around you and then come back to me when you have proper figures

Says the person who claims eggs will cost £45.

:toofunny:

The best part there is he is totally oblivious to the fact the EC/EU was partway set up to act as a protectionist mechanism for European industries such as agriculture, which basically put up trade barriers to cheaper produce from farmers in the third world.

As much as Europhiles would have us believe our very existence is a privilege bestowed by the magnanimity of the EU, all trade barriers would do is allow the rest of the world a greater opportunity for trade with the UK, at Europe's expense.

Personally I'd prefer we buy produce from the developing world for a fair price, since that'll do more to solve poverty therein than decades of Europhiles such as mouthy Geldorf throwing a self-congratulating concert here and there, and basically harassing people to pay up for Big Charity, and bankrolling a corporate industry that pays for the comfy lifestyles of the charitable leadership caste, but seems to be less results orientated when it comes to the third world issues they profess to serve.
Reply 193
Says the person who claims eggs will cost £45.

:toofunny:

That's just an exaggeration, clearly I see you have the mental capacity to pick tiny loop-holes and make it seem like if it's a big thing. :h:

Tell you what, you still haven't given me a proper answer yet - what is your contingency plan if things dont work out?
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
The best part there is he is totally oblivious to the fact the EC/EU was partway set up to act as a protectionist mechanism for European industries such as agriculture, which basically put up trade barriers to cheaper produce from farmers in the third world.

As much as Europhiles would have us believe our very existence is a privilege bestowed by the magnanimity of the EU, all trade barriers would do is allow the rest of the world a greater opportunity for trade with the UK, at Europe's expense.

Personally I'd prefer we buy produce from the developing world for a fair price, since that'll do more to solve poverty therein than decades of Europhiles such as mouthy Geldorf throwing a self-congratulating concert here and there, and basically harassing people to pay up for Big Charity, and bankrolling a corporate industry that pays for the comfy lifestyles of the charitable leadership caste, but seems to be less results orientated when it comes to the third world issues they profess to serve.

You make a very good point.
Original post by Dnkz7

Tell you what, you still haven't given me a proper answer yet - what is your contingency plan if things dont work out?

There is no possible contingency plan. We cannot return, sensibly. We buckle down and make it work. There will be difficulties, but there would be difficulties associated with staying. Do you have a contingency plan for what happens if we stay and things go badly? Or is success guaranteed for the EU?

The value of the pound against the dollar is already about 30% lower than it was forty years ago. Has that caused us a disaster? Or is the economy in better shape now than it was then?

A lower pound means more exports and more tourism. Is that bad?
(edited 7 years ago)
You make a very good point.

With any luck it might actually land, and convince if just one lazy Remainer to swot up on the EU they claim is so benign and good, in the few hours they have left to vote.

I know I shouldn't, since it's unlikely to convince critical assessment, but I can't help it.
I want people to be better than that. :s-smilie:

Good shouts in your posts to.
Reply 197
There is no possible contingency plan. We cannot return, sensibly. We buckle down and make it work. There will be difficulties, but there would be difficulties associated with staying. Do you have a contingency plan for what happens if we stay and things go badly? Or is success guaranteed for the EU?

I'm pretty certain that there is no evidence to suggest that anything will go smoothly with the EU. That being said, there are more pro's knowing that I can safely assume we can still trade with the EU.

1. Around 3.5 million British jobs are directly linked to British membership of the European Union’s single market 1 in 10 British jobs. - Source: ProEuropa

2. Through commonly agreed EU standards, national Governments have achieved improvements to the quality of air, rivers and beaches. Good for Britain and good for Britons holidaying or living abroad! - Source: ProEuropa

I definitely do not trust the current government to look after a environment properly. Living in Kent, if beaches like Margate and Ramsgate are ruined it's because they werent regulated properly. This is a job the EU does pretty well at, so I think we should remain.
Original post by Dnkz7
I can safely assume we can still trade with the EU.

The EU's importance to Britain is shrinking in trade terms.
Reply 199
The EU's importance to Britain is shrinking in trade terms.

Elaborate, I don't understand what you mean by that.

Quick Reply