The Student Room Group

Am I eligible for a free Beats headphones with a MacBook?

I am planning on buying a MacBook (still torn between air and pro) and I saw on the NUS site about the whole free beats when I buy a macbook deal Apple has going on (idk if it's still on right now). However I am only in year 12 sixth form but I do have an NUS card. Am I eligible for this deal?

I know on the apple site you have to verify using unidays but I did see this on the NUS site and would like to know if I can use my NUS card in the Apple Store? I am not yet in a university.
Reply 1
Original post by Jennim
I am planning on buying a MacBook (still torn between air and pro) and I saw on the NUS site about the whole free beats when I buy a macbook deal Apple has going on (idk if it's still on right now). However I am only in year 12 sixth form but I do have an NUS card. Am I eligible for this deal?

I know on the apple site you have to verify using unidays but I did see this on the NUS site and would like to know if I can use my NUS card in the Apple Store? I am not yet in a university.

It probably depends whether you have a school email address which works with UniDays. I know that some school email addresses do work with UniDays so you may be in luck.

There's no harm in trying.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Why would you want beats headphones? They're grossly unattractive looking and sound awful...
Reply 3
Original post by Jennim

Only time I'd ever get them, they're crap. You'd be better getting a pair of Sony studio cans for £15 - they sound better and aren't made of flimsy acrylic.
Reply 4
Original post by Tootles
Only time I'd ever get them, they're crap. You'd be better getting a pair of Sony studio cans for £15 - they sound better and aren't made of flimsy acrylic.

Lol same though. I mean it'd be a waste not getting it for free but no way I'd buy it for the price lmao
Reply 5
Original post by gimplord4000
Why would you want beats headphones? They're grossly unattractive looking and sound awful...

Why would you not want a free pair of headphones? Free being the key word, as **** as it is, you cannot be that egotistical to pass down something free you can make money towards😂
Reply 6
Original post by Jennim

I asked someone on the apple online store yesterday via their online chat and they said you have to be at university or have an unconditional offer at a place at university. Sixth form students are NOT entitled to it.

You can by all means make a unidays account and get one, BUT Apple carry out random checks to make sure you're actually a uni student. If you're willing to take that risk then thats up to you...
Reply 7
Original post by Jennim
Why would you not want a free pair of headphones? Free being the key word, as **** as it is, you cannot be that egotistical to pass down something free you can make money towards😂
I wouldn't give Beats houseroom. I wouldn't even give them as a gift. If I got them free with another piece of hardware I'd found at a shop, I'd offer them to the first person I saw outside once I left.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Tootles
I wouldn't give Beats houseroom. I wouldn't even give them as a gift. If I got them free with another piece of hardware I'd found at a shop, I'd offer them to the first person I saw outside once I left.

Lol well that's good for you but I'm broke and looking for trash to sell😂
Original post by Jennim

According to Apple's terms and conditions for this promotion, it's open to any post-secondary education purchase of a Mac, which theoretically includes sixth form and colleges (Apple have historically included college-level institutions in their eligible education events). You may not be able to access the website without Unidays, but I would wager if you went in store and asked they would most likely tell you that you qualify for the promotion. The best course of action is to go in and ask :yep:

Original post by gimplord4000

Original post by Tootles

Original post by Tootles

Speaking as probably the biggest headphone nerd on TSR who has probably spent more time insulting Beats than anyone else on TSR, the newer models of Beats are fine. Are they good value for money? No. Do they sound like utter garbage like the older models do? No. I wouldn't buy them for actual money, but the Beats Wireless 2 being given away use the Solo 2's very competent driver that will satisfy most people who don't mind somewhat heavy handed bass and haven't got a more expensive pair of headphones already.
"Fine" doesn't mean I'd want them, even if they were free. You might be a headphone nerd*, but I'm an audiophile**. Beats are just... I think I'd rather spend fifteen quid on the Sony monitors I've got.

That said, as a more old-fashioned audiophile, I think headphones are pointless unless a pair of speakers is impractical. And speakers... they don't make them like they did in the late '60s. I have my grandad's, and they've got the best sound I've ever heard in terms of range, volume, and response. The only ones I've heard that were anywhere near as good were a pair that my dad's got - BIIIG Sony *******s from the mid-80s. We're talking three-and-a-half-footers.

*grabs The Wall from my LP collection to put on*

Spoiler

Spoiler

Original post by Tootles
"Fine" doesn't mean I'd want them, even if they were free. You might be a headphone nerd*, but I'm an audiophile**. Beats are just... I think I'd rather spend fifteen quid on the Sony monitors I've got.

That said, as a more old-fashioned audiophile, I think headphones are pointless unless a pair of speakers is impractical. And speakers... they don't make them like they did in the late '60s. I have my grandad's, and they've got the best sound I've ever heard in terms of range, volume, and response. The only ones I've heard that were anywhere near as good were a pair that my dad's got - BIIIG Sony bastards from the mid-80s. We're talking three-and-a-half-footers.

*grabs The Wall from my LP collection to put on*

Spoiler

Spoiler

if you want to get pedantic I also consider myself an audiophile, I just don't use that term because it inevitably gets associated with audio snobbery. For example people claiming that £15 cans will be better than the newer generation of Beats, when they won't. You're welcome to not like the tonality (I don't like it either) or dislike the company (I hate it), and you're certainly welcome to prefer speakers, but I was simply replying to the comments calling them complete crap, which they simply aren't, especially for someone who doesn't own any premium audio gear already.

Congrats on the super human hearing.
Reply 12
My unidays was connected to my sixth form when I got my Macbook last year and got free beats :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest