Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Should I quit Architecture after 2 years and start Business School

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
Want to become an architect? Make sure your uni course is accredited first - here's how 21-06-2016

I'm 20 years old. I have just finished 2nd year in Architecture, however I'm thinking Architecture isn't for me and wish to pursue a career in the financial industry - with one of the graduate schemes. I have three options. I have one month to make a decision and I could really do with some help. I have spent the entire day flipping a coin... Yes it's come to that. I have three options.

1. Finish the next two years and graduate with a BSc Hons in Architecture. My main concern with this option is although I would have a degree, it's whether or not a graduate scheme such as JP Morgan or PWC would accept me on to their graduate programmes with such an irrelevant degree.

2. Cut my losses now from Architecture and start a BA from the Business School. The only problem with this is that I would be starting from year 1 and its a 4 year course which would mean graduating when I'm 24...

3. I could finish my Architecture BSc Hons and then try and do a MSc in Finance, however it's not certain I would be accepted as Architecture is not seen as a numerically based subject in the same way that engineering is.

Next year I am eligible for the 3rd exchange programme through Erasmus which would obviously be a great opportunity but would mean continuing with Architecture, so that makes the decision slightly more difficult.

Need some advice. Thanks

Why would you want to work for JPM or PWC? The only people I know who work for them do so because they did a non-vocational degree and just wanted to sell their souls to make money doing something pretty boring. Why would you choose that as a career path at such an early age? I think you would struggle to get onto the graduate scheme as well if you don't finish your degree, they only take the best. You may as well finish your architecture degree, assuming you can get at least a 2.1, ideally a first, then reassess your options at that later stage.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 22, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.