Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Are you "in" or "out" or "unsure"

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
  • View Poll Results: What will your choice be?
    Still unsure

(Original post by The Roast)
    I don't think you've properly read what Woden said:

"Agreements guaranteeing free movement between the Republic of Ireland and the UK have existed since long before the EU was conceived"

If you live in NI and want to cross over to EIRE, you won't have any problems.

The UK isn't seeking to close itself off from Europe as a whole, it's removing itself from the Union and taking back complete control of its laws and interests.

Remainers are blowing this all out of proportion.
    I think you've missed my point. Those agreements may have worked when the whole of Ireland was in the UK, and post-partition, but it's completely naive to think they would stand after a British exit from the EU. It wouldn't be in the Irish governemnt's interest to keep them even if the UK did.

(Original post by DarkMagic)
    Do you really believe that? How do you propose keeping immigrants out of the U.K. if all they need to do is come over to Ireland and get in that way? It makes no sense to vote for greater controls over immigration if no steps are taken to control the only land border there will be between the UK and the EU.
    Yes non-Irish, EU citizens would be able get into the UK that way, but they would have a fairly hard time in the long run because they'd have no right to work or live here, so I can't see many bothering to attempt it. I don't think anybody in the EU is that desperate to live in the UK. As for illegal migrants from outside of Europe, they will just continue to try and get across the English channel as they have always done.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.