The Student Room Group

German or Italian??

I have a conditional offer to study Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) in October, which involves learning two languages (one of which can be studied ab initio.) I know that I will study French as my first language due to having studied it at A level, but I don't know whether to take up German or Italian as the second language. I like both of these languages, although I am marginally more intrigued by Italian culture and arts as opposed to that of German. Yet my concern is that it would be too easy to confuse Italian and French vocabulary and that the similarities between the two would actually slow down my learning of Italian instead of helping. Any advice on the pros and cons of learning Italian or German alongside French, and the importance of both languages in general? Is it worth learning German if a large majority of Germans are moderately proficient in English?
Original post by Doddy1212
I have a conditional offer to study Modern and Medieval Languages (MML) in October, which involves learning two languages (one of which can be studied ab initio.) I know that I will study French as my first language due to having studied it at A level, but I don't know whether to take up German or Italian as the second language. I like both of these languages, although I am marginally more intrigued by Italian culture and arts as opposed to that of German. Yet my concern is that it would be too easy to confuse Italian and French vocabulary and that the similarities between the two would actually slow down my learning of Italian instead of helping. Any advice on the pros and cons of learning Italian or German alongside French, and the importance of both languages in general? Is it worth learning German if a large majority of Germans are moderately proficient in English?

You'll probably find Italian better as it's more similar to French however German is spoken by more people. The similarity between languages helps way more than hurts, I do French and Spanish at school and I have never really mixed up the vocabulary, instead I've been able to look at the word in French for example and work out what the Spanish word would be for that, if that makes sense lol. Also if you prefer the culture of Italian then you'd enjoy doing Italian more :tongue:

Are you allowed to do any other languages other than German or Italian or have you got to choose between those two? I would highly recommend Spanish if you can take it :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending