Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Is access course a good idea?

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Hi everyone this is my first post. I would like to ask you a few questions please and I hope you will help me.
    I'm 19 years old and I just finished Level 2 ICT in city of Bristol college. I'm panicking all over the place! My aim is to go to uni and get a degree(most likely a computer science degree). I just don't know what to do.
    I had a talk with the career adviser and she told me that I could do an access course next year. I kind of liked the idea because it sounds like a straight way to uni yet I'm really worried about it and I don't know if it's a good thing to do.

Let's say I chose it. What 3 subjects do I need to study so I can go on a computer science in uni?
    Do I need to pay for it? What about A levels do I need to pay for it as well if I chose it?

I just want to get my degree and found a job and that's it, but I'm just really worried about everything

I would appreciate your help very much!!

If you haven't done so already, look at some unis to see what their entry requirements are. If you study an Access Course, you'll just be asked for that and possibly some GCSEs. They won't ask for some A levels on top.

If you have to pay, (and it's all changed since I studied) there's a loan you can take out to pay for your tuition fees.

Hi there, this year just gone I completed an access to HE course in computing, and now am off to study computer science at Kent university.

I would strongly recommend an Access course as I was able to get offers from places such as Cardiff, Kent and UWE. Friends on the course went to Bournemouth, UWE and other unis.

Make sure you have/get a C GCSE maths at least, and if you get a B then better unis will be open to you, like Surrey and Exeter. I only had a C GCSE maths which limited my options.

Overall go for the access course, it is a great way to get onto a CS degree, just put the effort in to get maximum grades and the very important maths GCSE.

Any questions shoot em over.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 6, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.