The Student Room Group

Thinking of Creating a YouTube channel but don't want to violate Copyrights?

Hi,
I'm thinking of creating a YouTube channel, where the vidoes are based on a collage of popular short videos around the web but putting in my own commentary. Problem is how do I not get copyrighted?

Same with any music that I put in, how do I not get a copyright infringement strike from YouTube? I was thinking of crediting the original music creator in the description and saying that I do not own any of the music, e.t.c. Would this get around it?

Finally, I was thinking if I could get around this by saying that the video was for educational purposes, which it is, would this stop any copyright infringements?

Please advise,

Many thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best place for how to do it is probably on YouTube! There should be a few videos showing how to do it and that....

I've had to put up some work for a college project so I used either copyright free sound or free music where you could just credit the artist. If you search copyright free music you can find quite a lot and most just needs to be credited. With most songs you can't normally just do that so you may get a copyright notice. There are different rules about using clips of other peoples material and you normally need to get permission first but I guess it's up to you to risk it or not!

There are lots of people on YouTube who get copyright claims even when they are using content within the fair use guidance so it probably comes down to if the original creator minds or not! Hope that helps as a start :smile:
Seconded on the copyright free music - there is loads of it. You are allowed to use exerts of copyrighted material, but I am not sure what is considered acceptable on the video front. In literature it usually extends to about a sentence or two and that is it.

Good luck but read up on UK and US copyright law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending