Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making new friends at new job

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I am starting a graduate job very soon and there's gonna be like 100+ graduates and I really don't want to end up being a loner

The thing with me is that I am very introverted and find it hard to make friends. I really think this is a good opportunity to meet new people but I can never contribute to a group conversation.

At my last job during placement, I had 2 friends who would invite me to lunch and that's how things started but I worry that this may not be the same due to such a large number of graduates and there's gonna be cliques and I'll be left out

What can I do? How should I prepare for it?

Be confident, being a introvert does not mean you cannot socialize well, But obviously you would not want to put yourself in a massive group.
    Just talk to people about normal things and friends will come to you, just don't expect everyone to be your friends

just take your time and these things will happen, try and balance putting yourself out there with still being yourself! e.g. if people you get on with are going for lunch there's no harm in saying 'can I tag along' but don't try and force yourself to fit into a loud group and do things you don't enjoy

also, making friends takes longer for some people than others... don't beat yourself up if it takes you longer, it will still happen, take some time to work out who you get along with

Particularly as an adult, being in a workplace is a very good place to build friendships. As we grow older, it is hard to spend enough time with people to buiild history together, the basis of friendship, obviously much easier to do as children. In a job, you will spend lots of time with people, you will commiserate about the boss or conditions, you will help each other. It is a great place to make friends. That's been my experience.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 23, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.