The Student Room Group

Making new friends at new job

I am starting a graduate job very soon and there's gonna be like 100+ graduates and I really don't want to end up being a loner

The thing with me is that I am very introverted and find it hard to make friends. I really think this is a good opportunity to meet new people but I can never contribute to a group conversation.

At my last job during placement, I had 2 friends who would invite me to lunch and that's how things started but I worry that this may not be the same due to such a large number of graduates and there's gonna be cliques and I'll be left out

What can I do? How should I prepare for it?
Be confident, being a introvert does not mean you cannot socialize well, But obviously you would not want to put yourself in a massive group.
Just talk to people about normal things and friends will come to you, just don't expect everyone to be your friends
just take your time and these things will happen, try and balance putting yourself out there with still being yourself! e.g. if people you get on with are going for lunch there's no harm in saying 'can I tag along' but don't try and force yourself to fit into a loud group and do things you don't enjoy

also, making friends takes longer for some people than others... don't beat yourself up if it takes you longer, it will still happen, take some time to work out who you get along with
Particularly as an adult, being in a workplace is a very good place to build friendships. As we grow older, it is hard to spend enough time with people to buiild history together, the basis of friendship, obviously much easier to do as children. In a job, you will spend lots of time with people, you will commiserate about the boss or conditions, you will help each other. It is a great place to make friends. That's been my experience.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending